Skip to main content
Topic: Search William Tell Overture full in NWC (Read 7142 times) previous topic - next topic

Search William Tell Overture full in NWC

Hello... i'm search William Tell Overture, the full version in NWC format... Send me this file per e-mail, please

Re: Search William Tell Overture full in NWC

Reply #1
I tried an AltaVista (!www.altavista.com) query:
"+William +Tell +Overture +Midi" which came up with
!www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Hills/6764/willtell.mid
which looks reasonably complete. To convert it from MIDI
just Import it into NWC. If it's not good enough, there are
probably lots of other versions in the other 3947 pages
that AltaVista found.

Reply #3
You will also find a number of MIDI versions at the Classical Music Connection (along with hundreds of other files), web address http://midiworld.com/cmc/index.htm#M

Happy downloading!

Reply #4
Just to add to the above, I've had a look at all the MIDIs referred to, and only the Brian Ames (243K) version on Classical Music Connection is the complete overture - the rest are all only the last 'Lone Ranger' section! The Brian Ames version is a very good rendering and worth adding to your collection.

Reply #5
Peter: Thanks for the link to the Midiworld site. Looks like a candy store full of goodies.
Question: When I click on a piece, Windows Media Player comes up and plays the piece for me. What I would like, is to download the piece to my hard drive. How do I make this happen? I'm using MS Internet Explorer 4.0 on Win98.
All help appreciated,
Gordon

Reply #6
Right click on the link and select "Save Target As..."

Reply #7
That's a good tip, Support. Thanks. I had the opposite problem - it played in Netscape and downloaded in Explorer so I could still get the file, but your suggestion is much more useful.

Reply #8
I'm trying to find the sheet music for the William Tell Overture, in an intermediate format (for my accordion). There will be 10,000 runners going by my house next month in a race, and my friends and I would like to play this tune for them.

Reply #9
As for the midi, try also:
http://www.prs.net (Classical Music Archives)
This site has somewhat like 9.500 midi files...

Reply #10
Just read your query - probably too late but why don't you downlaod a MIDI file and print out the parts using suitable software - eg XG works, Cubase, Sibelius, Magix Music, Encore or shareware (try ZD net)
Cheers
Mike Lockey

Reply #11
"...print out the parts using suitable software - eg XG works, Cubase, Sibelius, Magix Music, Encore..."

or even Noteworthy Composer!

Reply #12
Good point, Steve....

For those of you who didn't realize it, NWC can import a MIDI file and convert it into sheet music, just like the big boys. However, no matter what program you are using, MIDI is a reduction of the sheet music into a linear sequence of commands, and therefore contains less information than does the original score. In other words, importing MIDI into any music publishing program necessarily is imprecise.

I also recommend that you carefully choose the resolution (minimum size of rests and notes) before you import, lest small variations timing be interpreted as hemidemisemiquavers or whatever they are called. I don't work with anything as complicated as the William Tell Overture, but for *choral music*, it is rarely necessary to resolve timing to faster than a sixteenth note or eighth rest.

Say, do they make MIDI-compatible accordions? If so, then the MIDI could be directly input to the instrument, and playing it could be faked!

Reply #13
> Say, do they make MIDI-compatible accordions? If so, then
> the MIDI could be directly input to the instrument, and
> playing it could
> be faked!

My gawd, why would anyone want to do that? (Just kidding, Andrew!) :)

On the topic of midi importation, there is no reason why midi meta-text "events" couldn't be used to store scoring data. Cubasis does this for its dynamics markings, lyrics, and such; so a midi file exported from Cubase will import back into it with reasoable fidelity. (Its actual scoring facilities are another matter entirely...) I seem to recall some discussion of this as a possibility for a future release of NWC, but IIRC the upshot was that such an idea is wishful thinking, for the nonce anyway.