Skip to main content
Topic: Is it possible to set up a Default Page setup? (Read 4952 times) previous topic - next topic

Is it possible to set up a Default Page setup?

I need to be able to change the default for all existing files, as well as for new files.

I have a lot of files to print and at the moment am having to go into each one individually to change the page setup to the correct
fonts. 

As you can imagine this is frustrating and very time consuming as over 500 song files have been collected over the years.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: Is it possible to set up a Default Page setup?

Reply #1
I need to be able to change the default ... for new files.
AFAIK, the <Blank Score> template is hard coded into NWC and cannot be changed.

NWC partially implements Explorer's File->New method. The file it creates is zero bytes (a NullFile) and cannot be loaded by NoteWorthy. This can be changed to a valid file. See: http://windowsxp.mvps.org/shellnewadd.htm
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2

Hi, Tiggywinkle.

Before I read Rick's reply (the content of which is way beyond my competence) I thought you meant "simply" that you wanted (a) to revise each existing File rather quicker than going via Page Setup to the Fonts tab and then accessing each staff in turn to change the Font Size Typeface and Style, and (b) you wanted a new File to open in some standard format other than one of those Noteworthy presently sets up for you.  Possibly, then, I misunderstood - but if not then, for what it's worth, I offer the following suggestions.

For (a), why not convert each Noteworthy File into an NWCTXT version, and then manipulate this as you would any text File, possibly with either an automated or a manual Find-and-Replace.  It won't be that much faster than going via Page Setup, but it might help.

And for (b), since most of your new Files are, I suspect, going to be based on the same or some similar template as older ones, why not simply make a new (set of) Template Files that are more appropriate to your needs and which you can then load in whenever you want to start a new song?

MusicJohn, 25/Jul/14

Reply #3
Hi MusicJohn

Thanks you the reply

I too did not comprehend Rick's reply.

a) is exactly what i am trying to do. And at the moment I am going through page setup for each file.

I was hoping for a global solution, but it seems that I need to make a note of my 'ideal' settings and then just change it for every one.  This may take rather longer than I expected.  :-(

I'm relatively new to Noteworthy so I'm not familiar with NWCTXT , so how do I do that?

Reply #5
I'm relatively new to Noteworthy so I'm not familiar with NWCTXT , so how do I do that?

There may be a batch utility which I don't know, but generally, File.. Save As  and change the File Type to NWC Text File.  Then edit the resulting file with a text editor.

Reply #6
I assume you know this already, but if you are changing fonts, margins and such for a score, you will likely change the appearance of the resulting score. Measures may break in different spots, and you may have more or fewer pages than you did before.

Whenever I change fonts in a score, I find I need to preview it before I commit the change, for the above reasons. But maybe your scores are simpler and less prone to the problems I mentioned.

Reply #7
What was incomprehensible about it?

I wouldn't say it was incomprehensible, just maybe a bit on the technical side. Some folks here are less computer savvy than others :)  I did understand it and found it interesting, but since I write software for a living, I'm probably not your average Noteworthy Composer user.

Reply #8
I wouldn't say it was incomprehensible, just maybe a bit on the technical side. Some folks here are less computer savvy than others :)  I did understand it and found it interesting, but since I write software for a living, I'm probably not your average Noteworthy Composer user.
Yeah, I didn't check out Rick's response, but we techies often forget that everybody hasn't learned the same things we have.  I'm not all that comfortable with NWC yet; I can read the code files - I should be able to write a complete piece using NWCTXT, but it's more fun and satisfying to just write the music.  That can get pretty complex at times, too.

Reply #9

Hi, Tiggywinkle.

How did you get on with this?

MusicJohn, 14/Aug/14