Skip to main content
Topic: Traspose staff and new Key signature (Read 4224 times) previous topic - next topic

Traspose staff and new Key signature

I need to copy songs written in different keys and transport ("tools ---> transposed staff) in the key of C maj) to play them with harmonica in the key of C maj, but also from C maj D maj or other shades.
When I run this operation notes with sharps or flats are ALL very bumpy (D maj all C and all F) and what I do not like, and especially NOT appears the correct key signature (##).
Where am I wrong?
Thank you.

Re: Traspose staff and new Key signature

Reply #1
Sorry, but I don't understand exactly what do you mean.

The usual problem with transposing is when someone tries to transpose a staff from "the key of C" to some other key but the C key "object" is not present in the staff.
I mean: before transposing, be sure you have the key signature at the beginning of the staff, and take care that the signature for Cmaj is not empty or nothing but is showed as a single, hidden, natural as you can see in the key signature selector.

If this is not your problem, please try to explain it more clearly.

Ciao

Reply #2
E' possibile parlare italiano senza che gli altri amici del forum si offendano?

Reply #3
Si prega di andare avanti. Altri non saranno offesi. Flurmy vi capirà e si tradurrà per gli altri, se necessario. (Written utilizzando Google Translate)
Rich.

Reply #4
(Written utilizzando Google Translate)

Little doubt about it.
That's exactly the same mix of very formal and very colloquial Italian, not to say about a bit of plain "grammatical freedom" ;-), you can find in spamming. :-)
(Absit iniuria verbo: no offense intended!)

It seems I got it right. The problem was the usual missing key signature when the score is in C or Am.
We already had a private mail exchange in Italian and I hope I was able to explain the topic to Lawrroc.

Reply #5
Well, you gotta try !
Rich.

Reply #6
With the indispensable help (and in Italian ...) of Flurmy, problem solved. Thank you.
Lorenzo

Re: Transpose staff and new Key signature

Reply #7
This question has arisen many times.

IMO, most users expect a changed key signature and are confused or blame NWC when it is missing. I think NWC would be improved if it always put a key signature in upon transposition. It is much easier to explain how to remove an unwanted key signature than to explain why one is missing.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #8
Rick, I was just thinking about the same line.

Reply #9
IMO, most users expect a changed key signature and are confused or blame NWC when it is missing. I think NWC would be improved if it always put a key signature in upon transposition. It is much easier to explain how to remove an unwanted key signature than to explain why one is missing.

I write atonal music (primarily), AND I regularly use the staff transposition function to transpose motives, tone rows, segments of the music that will be identical but at a different pitch level (e.g. sequences), etc. (The latter task is easy if you are willing to copy the section you want transposed and move it to a staff by itself; I usually keep an extra staff free for such uses while I'm notating.) In both of those cases, having to deal with an automatically added key signature would be a major, major bother. I can support the change, but ONLY if it includes an opt-out mechanism that is remembered between sessions. A simple checkbox on the tools/options/editor tab would do the job.

Reply #10
IMO, you overstate your case. Still, an Editor->Options override that is not set by default would seem reasonable.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #11
Why not just put the 'blank' key signature into the templates that are provided with the program? I think that would be much easier for the programmers (who I guess are struggling with the new release right now...).

And then again: Please, read the User Guide (just search for 'transpose' and you're there). Easy.