Skip to main content
Topic: Recovering FIle (Read 7916 times) previous topic - next topic

Recovering FIle

I was chopping up a multiple-staff score into separate files per instrument when I accidentally pressed the save button before renaming the file. Is there ANY way of recovering the file in its full format (i.e. with all the staffs) withouth having to re-write it?

Re: Recovering FIle

Reply #1
If you have "Create Backup Files" enabled in the Tools, Options, File tab, then the answer is Yes. When enabled, each existing file is renamed from "*.nwc" to "*.bak" when a new save is performed. You can simply rename the "*.bak" file to a "*.nwc" file, then load it into the program.

If you disabled this feature somewhere along the line (it is on by default), then you will only be able to recover the file using a backup copy of your own.

Reply #2
If you "overwrote" a prior file, have Norton's Utilities or some other similar utility to find "deleted" files, and have not done much with your computer since "overwriting" the file, the utility may be able to pick up the old file. See the manuals. The potential saving grace is that "overwriting" a file frequently does not put the new file at the same address on the hard drive, and the old file may still be there to be ferreted out by the utility. As you use the computer, however, it becomes more and more likely that the computer will use the space occupied by the old file. Hope that helps if the backup tip didn't save the day.

Reply #3
Thanks. You just saved my day...

Suggestion: Why don't you add this detail to the help file?

Reply #4
I don't know of a single application that documents the DOS or NT file systems or how to recover deleted files. Imagine the duplication of effort (not to mention waste of disk space) if every program that ran under Windows had to provide this information! The help file should document how the program itself works and any *peculiarities* in its interface to the operating system. The operating system, or utility package such as Norton, should document the generic stuff.

Reply #5
I understood the suggestion to refer to the renaming of *.bak files in case of trouble... a nice feature of NWC which not every DOS/Win app includes... and which I too didn't know about until I stumbled on the .bak files while doing routine housekeeping shortly after installing NWC the first time. I just checked, and couldn't find a reference to backup files in the help system.

Reply #6
The same thing happened to me, and I managed to save the file. However, the backup info IS in the help file. Go to find, and search for backup. Then look at "Save File" or something similar to that. It's there.

Reply #7
Try Easeus DataRecoveryWizard.        www.easeus.com