Skip to main content
Topic: Song templates in 2.51 (Read 4848 times) previous topic - next topic

Song templates in 2.51

Sorry if this has been asked before ...
I just upgraded to 2.51, and now there is no place where I can set the template folder. Under Tools/Options/Folders, I see only 5 entries:

Song Files
Backup Files
Config Files
Auto Save/Recovery
Instrument Trees

As my Templates reside at a specific place, I'd need to point there ...

Thanks for any help!
Harald

Re: Song templates in 2.51

Reply #1
my Templates reside at a specific place, I'd need to point there ...
That feature appears to have been removed. You might try the 'Browse...' button on the New Command.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
That feature appears to have been removed. You might try the 'Browse...' button ...
Thanks - unfortunate. I'll place them in C:\Program Files (x86)\Noteworthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2\Template.

Regards
Harald

Reply #3
That feature appears to have been removed.

Yes I noticed and I too find it a bit of a pain.

I used to put the templates folder under "My Documents" and it got backed up with the rest when I used to carry out backups of My Documents.  I have a number of fine tuned templates that suit my exact needs that I don't want to lose.

Putting this folder under the Noteworthy folder in Program Files is awkward to say the least for backing up purposes.

What I cannot understand is why remove such a useful feature unless of course there is a technical reason for doing so.  The same goes for the "dynamics" buttons which have also disappeared.  In this sense, NWC is now a bit poorer than the previous version.

Is there a possibility or at least a hope of getting these two features back ?

Reply #4
A: I fully concur with the idea to place my valuable items in an area where I have full control,
and not in C:\Program Files\....

B: In NWC 2.51:
The same goes for the "dynamics" buttons which have also disappeared.

This is where I find the keyboard shortcut d VERY handy:
1. Just type the d,
2. you get the full set of dynamics displayed
3. click on your choice
and (it seems to me by default) NWC places it at (approx) -8 position,
without you having to worry about the vertical position of the cursor.

I hope the same scheme applies to dynamic variation y,
as well as other items which you can call up with keyboard shortcuts.

Reply #5
I am very astonished about the 'moderate' comments about this problem since the issue is really very annoying and the current situation is hardly acceptable. In fact, the template feature is severly damaged. You cannot save any templates because you are actuallly forced to do that into the program folder where you would not have write permission as a normal user (unless you always login as administrator, which you only would do if you like having viruses and all that stuff on your computer).

I also noticed that the drag and drop feature (for dropping templates on the template dialog window) is not working either any longer.

Actually I cannot think of any possible reason why one would implement such a backward 'development' so I really fear that this part of the source code was lost or messed up in some way and some old version of it had to be used in the current code. I really hope that the developers can fix it as soon as possible since the issue is really annoying. And I would appreciate some comment from them...

Reply #6
Hi Thomas,
I'm not surprised at the moderate responses, we're not exactly a volatile group of people...

I just downloaded the latest update (2.51.1) in case it had been remedied in that update, but it appears not.  Like you, I prefer to have better control of some things, and the template location is one of them...

That said, the NWC installer places the standard templates in the default location so perhaps there's some logic in not allowing a change BUT if that's the case, then the CUSTOM templates location should be controllable.

Maybe something to think about Eric?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
I just had a quick poke around in my registry and didn't find anywhere the template directory is specified - I assume that I missed it because I would think the registry is the logical place to store that information. 

Given NWC may be installed to a drive other than C (as Windows may be in a different drive) then a registry entry with the correct location would be expected (yes, I know there are other ways but why reinvent the wheel...).
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
In 2.51, you cannot override the template location. However, the Browse feature allows you to manually select any NWC file for use as a template. If you have created a set of templates, it is recommended that you place these in a folder within your NoteWorthy Composer "Song Files" folder. This makes them easier to select after engaging the Browse button.

Reply #9
Well, that's exactly what I am doing now. But after all, it's only a workaround. It is such a pity that such a neat feature is not available any longer...