Skip to main content
Topic: Lyrics question: two different languages (Read 3041 times) previous topic - next topic

Lyrics question: two different languages

Hi everyone,

I searched for an answer on this board but didn't find anything. I'm using v1.75b.

I'm working on several hymns and all require that for the lyrics, the first verse is in Armenian, and the second in English. I have Armenian truetype fonts, but it seems (as far as I can tell) the software only allows one lyric font: the "Staff Lyric" font. So it seems I can only have one font for both verses. Is there any way that I can assign one font for verse 1, and another for verse 2?

And if v2 can do it, I'd be happy to upgrade...

Thanks.

Re: Lyrics question: two different languages

Reply #2
If you can use your Armenian font for either the lyric font or one of the user fonts it may be possible to insert one of the verses as text. But text can be difficult to align with the notes. I have inserted repeats for other voices than lead using text, but it does require a lot of effort to get a reasonable appearance. As an aside I think you'd find it worthwhile to upgrade to the current release, even though, as Rick notes, it will not permit use of two different lyric fonts in the same piece.

Reply #3
Actually, inserting a properly-aligned lyric as text isn't difficult, just a bit tedious. On the placement tab of the text properties dialog box, set "Justification" to left and "Alignment/placement" to at next note/bar. Make sure the "Preserve width" check box is checked. Enter the first syllable of the lyric, and adjust it vertically until you get it placed where you want the lyric to lie vertically in relation to the notes. (You need to do this either with the mouse or by setting the height in the "Staff position" field of the properties dialog box, NOT by using <Shift><Ctrl><up-and-down arrows>, so that NWC will remember it between text entries. So you may have to undo it and re-enter it several times.) You only have to do these things on the first word or syllable of the lyric. After that, simply move the cursor along with the <right arrow> key and type each word or syllable of the text when the cursor is positioned horizontally directly before that syllable's proper note. The actual lyric and your text lyric should align perfectly.

Reply #4
Thank you all for the quick reply.

While it's obviously not what I was hoping for ;) I guess I'll start playing with text insertion.

Or convince my users to live with one language in the lyrics, and put the 2nd one at the bottom of the song!