Skip to main content
Topic: handling ultra-long measures - wish list item (Read 3460 times) previous topic - next topic

handling ultra-long measures - wish list item

I am preparing a piano sonatina for print. In the first movement of this sonatina - as occasionally happens - there is a very florid passage that is written out in 32nd notes, in 6/4 time. This makes the measure long enough that it won't fit on a single system, but must lap over onto the next. In cases like this, I would like to be able to (a) suppress the system bar at the beginning of the second system; and (b) suppress the measure number that automatically prints at the beginning of each system. I would prefer it if this were automatic (if the program saw an invisible barline at the end of a system, it would suppress the following system bar and measure number automatically), but would settle for an option to do it manually.

Just a hopeful thought. In the meantime, there is - with enough effort - digital whiteout.

Bill

Re: handling ultra-long measures - wish list item

Reply #1
I would prefer it if this were automatic (if the program saw an invisible barline at the end of a system, it would suppress the following system bar and measure number automatically)
I would not. In the absence of examples, I would posit that what you want is not standard practice.

Meanwhile, the attachment seems to do what you describe.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
....the attachment seems to do what you describe.

Nope. You removed the bracket. I want the system bar removed. Open the beginnings of the staves to match the open ends of the staves in the previous system. Examples are a little hard to find (doesn't happen all that often). I'll do some checking, though.

Reply #3
Hey Bill,
how 'bout using spacers to reduce the space between then notes and that way keep it to one staff?  Not having an example to see I don't know whether this would work for you or not...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
Sorry, I think I see now. Perhaps a SysBreak on a Transparent barline should suppress the opening barline. In the meanwhile we have digital whiteout. Wouldn't it be nice if it were a standard color ...

I may have found a use for AsStaffSignature. See the attachment 03.
It seems to be a "one shot deal".

Reply #5
Nice, Rick. Especially #3. Not having a whole lot of time to mess around, I just left the system bar there today and put parentheses around the measure number (relatively easy to place the text object for that). But I'll remember this trick for next time.

Lawrie, it was really too long to reduce it to one system. I ended up putting two beats of 32nd notes onto the second system - one of those was a nontuplet (nine beats in the count of eight). Nice thought, but it wouldn't have worked.

And I think having a checkbox or radio button in the barline dialogue to suppress the next system barline - which would only operate if the barline it was placed on was (a) on the top staff; (b) invisible; and (c) the last barline in the system - would work just fine.

Reply #6
And I think having a checkbox or radio button in the barline dialogue
I don't think that more UI clutter is the way to fix something that as rare as the problem that you describe.