Skip to main content
Topic: MIDI keyboard controlling note duration? (Read 4850 times) previous topic - next topic

MIDI keyboard controlling note duration?

Hi,

I was wondering if it's possible to have your MIDI keyboard control pitch and duration, so it will be able to record exactly what you play?

Thanks.

Alex

Re: MIDI keyboard controlling note duration?

Reply #1
Well, I'm not sure if I'm answering the question you asked, but yes - you control pitch with which key you press, and duration by how long you hold it down. Most keyboards also record how hard you press (velocity), which at present isn't imported into NoteWorthy Composer. Similarly, pitch and mod wheel, and volume controllers aren't imported either; you have to add these afterwards.

Reply #2
Alex, there are two methods of note entry from a MIDI keyboard. Step time entry goes note by note, and you have to set the key and time signatures, note duration and bar lines yourself - the keyboard only determines the pitch.

To record an actual performance you need to run a 'dummy' tune and play in time with it. Best done by setting up a repeating 'metronome' bar, (Channels 10 or 16 are the usual percussion channels) preferably longer than the intended recording - you can then replay a mistake and edit out the offending bar later. The method is fully documented in the Help system (Search <Record Command>). Have fun!

Peter

Reply #3
If your are step entering from a midi controller the pitch wheel and mod wheel can be used to change the duration of the entered note.
You will find the documentation in the help files.