Skip to main content
Topic: Fix for a bug? (Read 2272 times) previous topic - next topic

Fix for a bug?

If I tie together two chords using the / command, all the notes that match each other in the two chords will be tied.  For example if I have two tonic chords C-E-G one half note, one a dotted-quarter, all the C,E,G tones will be tied.  But if I change one of the Es to an E-flat, and use the / command, NONE of the notes are tied. For example the tie between the Cs and the Gs disappear.  Is there a fix for this anomoly/bug?  If one of the notes in the two (or more) chords are a natural and a flat, or a natural and a sharp of the same notation F or G for example, then ALL of the common tones in the chord can not be tied.  Bummer.
novice user, but eager to learn

Re: Fix for a bug?

Reply #1
NWC will not allow a tie from an E natural to an E flat (or vice versa). IMO, this is as it should be. You may want use the Force Accidentals Command to clarify the situation for you. I don't see a bug here. There is some contoversy as to whether NWC should tie an F flat to an E natural. It won't. I stay out of that contoversy :)
Registered user since 1996

Re: Fix for a bug?

Reply #2
NWC will not allow a tie from an E natural to an E flat (or vice versa). IMO, this is as it should be. You may want use the Force Accidentals Command to clarify the situation for you. I don't see a bug here. There is some contoversy as to whether NWC should tie an F flat to an E natural. It won't. I stay out of that contoversy :)

I think Lew is saying that if there are 2 chords, C-E-G and C-Eb-G, if you try to tie them, NONE of the notes will tie. He is saying that at least the C and G should tie.

HOWEVER... I just did my own test, and I don't see the behavior he describes. I am able to have some notes of a chord tied and others not. Note, I am running version 2.5.5.

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.5,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-6^,b-4,-2^
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:-6,n-4,-2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-4
|Rest|Dur:4th
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End