Skip to main content
Topic: Laptop Latency Issues (Read 7694 times) previous topic - next topic

Laptop Latency Issues

Ah! Retired at last. So now I can return to music.

Problem: my current Windows 7 32 bit laptop has severe latency problems when I try to add background line to melody line or vice versa. Have tried resetting computer to background priority. Tried adding MidiOx or MidiYoke and other virtual ports. Tried ASIO (does not work with the laptops hardware). I do not use softsynths at this time, so that is not a drag on the system resources. I think the problem probably reflects limitations in the onboard sound in the laptop (it otherwise has plenty of ram and speed).

I use a Roland GK2A pickup on my guitar and a Roland GI-10 Guitar Midi Interface. I plug into the computer via a USB midi cable. The Roland devices work on my old clunky Windows 98 desktop with Ensoniq and Creative Soundcards (and game port plug in). Would like to use a newer laptop, however, if possible.

Query

(1) Does someone use or know of a reasonably priced laptop (less than $ 1,000) that does not seem to have latency issues (maybe one that has a separate sound card rather than integrated sound)?

(2) Alternatively, does anyone know if external USB audio cards (maybe one of the Creative line) avoid or minimize the problem?

Thx for any help! Steve Pearson

Re: Laptop Latency Issues

Reply #1
Hi Steve,
congrats on retiring.  Wish I could ;)

Now, about that softsynth...  If you're using the default windows synth, then you actually are using a softsynth, though not one known for serious latency...  However, that said, it may well have noticeable latency when compared to your MIDI interface, unless it's the MIDI interface with the latency?

In any case, you really need to look at an ASIO or hardware solution.

For ASIO, if I may refer you to the Scripto for a couple of possibly useful documents:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Vst

The first is mine and was done for VST on Vista (32 bit) but is still pretty relevant as I had to figure out why my ASIO4ALL wasn't working (this may help you) and the second is by Rich Nagel and is geared more to setting up softsynth support but it may supply good clues too.

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Ah! Retired at last. So now I can return to music.
I saw that you were posting and thought: "That's a familiar name." I then looked at your profile and read that you haven't posted since February of 2003. Welcome back.

This being a NoteWorthy forum, my first suggestion would be to look for latency in the note chase in the Viewer. Tap your foot to the music and see if the notes are being highlighted at the same time. Listen for slowdowns and choppiness.

Compare your laptop to your desktop. I see no or hear latency on my modest IBM 8305 (P4 2.0 GHz) running XPPro. CPU Usage in Task Manager never exceeded 10%. On my older computers, Carmen ran fine, I could hear and see some slowdowns on Caverns, and 1812 would nearly bring them nearly to a halt. SoftSynths made the problems worse.

If your laptop is comparable to you desktop, you have probably eliminated software latency as a problem. If not, you may need a different computer. If you are lucky, the seller will let you run some tests on it.

Time to move on to hardware latency. The MIDI hardware interface to a computer (USB or game card) uses an Interrupt ReQuest (or IRQ). So does the keyboard I am using to write this. This allows a test of hardware latency. Use NoteWorthy Composer's Midi Options Dialog Tab to set 'Play notes on entry'. With a New Song, set the duration to 8th Notes and rapidly press the enter key. The screen will lag quite a bit, but you should hear a note for each keypress. If the laptop is noticeably behind your desktop, hardware latency is a problem. You may want to run System-Information and check the Hardware Resources for Conflicts, Forced Hardware and IRQ's. You can fix some conflicts with Device-Manager.

Not all USB ports are created equal. To test them, plug a USB keyboard (cost ~$3) into each USB port and try the "enter key test" described above. I have 6 USB ports. Some were faster than others. The reponse of the best was comparable to my main keyboard. If you get through this, you can rule out hardware latency.

What is left? Bad MIDI cable or the software that came with it. I have no test for that.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Hi Lawry and Rick,

Thx much for your suggestions. Use of the VST program and great instructions by Lawry allowed me to actually access ASIO on my computer. Also tried the tests suggested by Rick. Alas, my computer is a great business workhorse, but not designed with its integrated soundcards for creativity. The latency controls of ASIO did not prevent the delays. Seems to be a hardware latency issue. So . . . I will probably just need to do music on my old Windows 98 machine (which works fine for that) or bite the bullet and pick up a more music friendly computer (or external soundcard plug in?). If anyone has suggestions, let me know.

Reply #4
Hi Steve,
glad it helped, if only a little.

Perhaps someone will allow you to try a USB external synth, or perhaps, given you have a MIDI interface, you could use an external MIDI synth?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.