Skip to main content
Topic: Pedal Sustain/Release (Read 3658 times) previous topic - next topic

Pedal Sustain/Release

Hi NWC'ers,

I have a simple score, one staff for mezzo soloist, then two staves for piano. I have added Pedal down and up commands in appropriate places in the music; these I have only added to the bottom (bass clef) staff for the piano. Also, the soloist staff is muted.

Upon playback, a sustained sound continues beyond the pedal release marks... I have read in the offline forum that some folk have needed to add the pedal marks to all staves in order to get play back to sound correct -- will that cure my problem? I thought the pedal marks only apply to the staff they're on, that should be all I'm affecting, right?

I really only need the printed music, but as long as I am doing some practicing with NWC playback, I find the continuance of sound annoying! Please tell me what dumb thing I am/am not doing so I can fix this... thanx as always for your help!

Sue

Re: Pedal Sustain/Release

Reply #1
Check to be sure that you don't have ties across bars between two "different" notes; e.g. if you have an F# in one bar, and tie it to an F natural in the next, you will get a stuck note.

You can examine each note without un-tying it by selecting it and seeing which (if any) accidentals buttons are "lit up."

Fred

Reply #2
Hi Fred,

I had no "stuck notes" in the score prior to adding the pedal marks...

It is not a terribly large file, are you interested in playing it to see if it behaves the same on your system? I can e-mail it to you if you like. Let me know.

Sue

Reply #3
Sue,

I'd be happy to have a listen/look at your file. Go ahead and send it, I'll let you know what it does on my machine.

Fred

Reply #4
Hi Fred,

Thanks for looking at my score, and confirming that it is my SB16 card that is not performing the pedal release. Just something I'll have to live with until I decide to upgrade...

Sue

Reply #5
For the record - we discovered that it's the Creative Labs SB16 FM synth midi itself that has this bug. It doesn't occur on other cards, even in FM (OPL3) mode... only on the SB16.

I verified this using a completely different sequencer - so it's not a problem unique to NoteWorthy Composer.

Fred