Skip to main content
Topic: altered layout  (Read 13595 times) previous topic - next topic

altered layout

It often happens that after converting an NWC file to pdf, the layout of the piece is altered, as the automatic definition of line break is somehow affected by the operation (perhaps shrinking to fit or else). What is worse is that it affects the original NWC file which becomes altered in the same way, quite a mess by all means: single bar lines extra pages,etc.

The program I am using is PDF995, that "mimicks" a printer.
Any ideas?  

Re: altered layout

Reply #1
G'day Leon,
make sure that the NWC file and PDF995 agree on the page size - both A4 or both US Letter...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
This can happen if you make changes using the Print Command. Make your changes using the Printer Setup Command.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Hi Rick, thanks for you answer.
Let me just make sure I understood: I should use the printer setup command to switch to pdf instead of changing printer within the print command menu?
Thanks in advance

Reply #4
I should use the printer setup command to switch to pdf instead of changing printer within the print command menu?
Yes. Print Preview shows how things will look with the printer selected in printer setup.

Reply #5
The problem is that, even with the same staff metrics, different printers will print the music in slightly different sizes. This can affect line breaks and page breaks. To avoid surprises, always check Print Preview after you select your printer.

Reply #6
So the good news are that the alterations can be reversed, all that needs to be done is switch back to the original printer: I experimented that on one of my files, and it went back to its original layout. (Sigh of relief)  

But there will still be different layouts to the pdf and the actual printer, and it's a problem since I need to switch freely from one setup to the other and have both options available without wasting time correcting layouts time after time. Print previewing is of very little help if there is no cure.
A solution I can think of is to create two identical files, one permanently set to the pdf "printer", the other permanently set to the physical printer, so the rearrengement of the layout will need to be done only once.  
But then whenever a change in the music will be inserted it would need to be copyed into the other file, meaning double work...
Or is there a more elegant solution? Perhaps the layout can be "frozen" somehow?

Reply #7
is there a more elegant solution? Perhaps the layout can be "frozen" somehow?
Design the layout for PDF. Print to the PDF. If you need hard copy, print the PDF.

Reply #8
What Rick said. I use this technique as a matter of course.

Reply #9
Ok, it's a fair solution, thanks.
I usually avoid printing from pdf because it leaves a light shade on the printed page, whilst NWC is snowhite. Any way to get rid of that?

Reply #10
I usually avoid printing from pdf because it leaves a light shade on the printed page
I don't have this problem. I use 'doPDF v7' as a virtual printer. With it, I created the attachment from Seasonal Sample for NWC Viewer 2.5 (Beta)

I then printed the attachment to hard copy using Adobe Reader. It looks every bit as good as hard copy done directly from NWC to hard copy.

Reply #11
Nor do I. I use PDFreDirect v2.

Reply #12
I use pdf 995. I'll try what you are using then

Reply #13
Another alternative is Bullzip (www.bullzip.com).   I've been using it for about seven years and have never had any problems.  Good luck with solving your issue.
db

Reply #14
Leon,
I've been using PDF995 for many years,
and it seems the authors think the only paper size is LETTER.
What's worse, they have definitions for LETTER hidden all over the place.
Once you've tracked-down ALL cases of LETTER in the settings for your PDF995 printer,
and changed them to A4, your problem should be solved.

(I would prefer an overriding setting in NWC where I could choose to which paper size I want to print.)

You can set PDF995 to create B&W files (singly, or by default),
but I've never had any background discouloured when printing to PDF995.

HTH.
Haymo.

Reply #15
Hi Haymo,
Thanks for your suggestion, I'll keep it in mind.
after William's comments I have installed PDFreDirect v2 and removed pdf 995. It's faster and allows me to merge files into each other, which is cool. And no popups.
Leon