Skip to main content
Topic: Braces for more than 2 staves (Read 6235 times) previous topic - next topic

Braces for more than 2 staves

I share the view of most people here that the bracket/brace changes in 2.5 are a step forward - although they're a bit of a pain for the writer of nwctxt converter programs!  However, a feature that I think is missing is support for keyboard music where there is more than one stave in the left hand.  We can get a curly brace that covers 2 staves in the right hand, but I can't see a way of doing this for the left hand.  It would seem to need an extra staff connecting type of "Lower curly brace" or something like it.

Or am I missing something?

Re: Braces for more than 2 staves

Reply #1
Oh.  Another one.  I don't seem to be able to get the bottom stave with a single bracket on it - quite common in vocal music.

Reply #2
Bracket last visible staff in Print Peview:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.5)
|AddStaff
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)
|RestMultiBar|NumBars:20|PrintOnce:Y|WhenHidden:ShowBars,ShowRests
|AddStaff
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)|WithNextStaff:Bracket
|AddStaff
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)
|Boundary|Style:Collapse|Color:6
!NoteWorthyComposer-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
I think so. I am not having a problem with piano/organ layouts. Could you post an image of what you cannot create in NWC?

Reply #4
Is this what you're after?  You'll need to preview for the bottom brace to be correct.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
That would do it.  I'd not understood the piano brace mechanism - that you simply keep bracing until the last, and Noteworthy places the brace correctly.  That's good.  Thanks to all.

I think the way of getting a final staff bracketed is a bit hacky - I think it should be possible without workarounds like this.

Reply #6
I think the way of getting a final staff bracketed is a bit hacky - I think it should be possible without workarounds like this.
IIRC what you're seeing is the result of efforts to prevent the orchestral brace from appearing when printing single staff instruments extracted from the full score.  In other words, it's deliberate.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
I disagree. The only reason a single staff should be bracketed is if it expands to, or contracts from, multiple staves.

That said, I am sad to say that I see in other cases. IMO, a hack suffices when the only need is to slavishly duplicate the sloppy editing of the original.

I now have no opinion on this.

Reply #8
I disagree. The only reason a single staff should be bracketed is if it expands to, or contracts from, multiple staves.

No.  Choral writing always has the chorus part bracketed, to distinguish from soloists.  It's quite possible for there to be a single choral stave (e.g. "men") with a number of soloists above.  The single choral stave should have a bracket.