Skip to main content
Topic: Running NW on a Mac that dual boots Windows (Read 12300 times) previous topic - next topic

Running NW on a Mac that dual boots Windows

Anyone tried it? Success? Failure?
I'm in the market for a new laptop and I have been wanting to convert to Mac for a while. The only deal-breaker left is whether or not I can use it to work on music. Is there a composer program for mac that is similar to NW?

Thanks in advance,
Nick

Re: Running NW on a Mac that dual boots Windows

Reply #1
You can use NoteWorthy Composer on a Mac using a variety of solutions. All of the following solutions have been confirmed to work reasonably well with NoteWorthy Composer. We recommend starting with the NoteWorthy Composer Demo or the NWC Viewer on your Mac before moving to the full version of NoteWorthy Composer.

Perhaps the simplest solution is to use Wine on the Mac. This solution does not require any additional software in order to use NoteWorthy Composer or the NWC Viewer. There are numerous application options for using Wine on Mac, including the following:

If you want the complete Windows experience, or you have other Windows software that you would like to use as well, then using a full copy of Windows might be a better option for you. The following solutions require the purchase of a Windows license in addition to the virtualization/booting software shown below:

NoteWorthy Composer Version 2.5 and the NWC Viewer Version 2.5 will work fine on an older version of Windows, such as Windows 2000. When working with a virtualized copy of Windows 2000, the system memory foot print can be dramatically reduced and still run NoteWorthy Composer smoothly.

Reply #2
Thanks! You guys rock!

Reply #3
I'm happy to assist anyone using WineBottler -- I'm not affiliated with Noteworthy Software or the WineBottler folks; I just think it's a fine solution to running NWC on the Mac because it creates a double-clickable Mac app that you can treat like a normal application and it doesn't use the resources that a full install of Windows would.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #5
Good point.