Skip to main content
Topic: Are there market opportunities for NWC in the Sibelius space? (Read 4602 times) previous topic - next topic

Are there market opportunities for NWC in the Sibelius space?

I understand that Avid owns Sibelius.  I have read elswhere that Avid are divesting their consumer products in a downsizing exercise.  

One source (which I haven't found again) said that Sib. was being dropped.  Now I find this hard to believe, BUT if this is the case, then a reliable Sib. to NWC import could be a fantastic opportunity for NWC to expand.

We all know that Sibs approach to notation is quite different to NWC, but NWC's easy user interface should make up a lot for the effort involved in changing.

Thoughts anyone?

Of course, this is dependent on the rumour being correct.  I just wish I could find where I read about it, or corroborating sources :(
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Market opportunities..?

Reply #1
I'm still hankering after a proper mxml duplex interface within NoteWorthy however ....

This is the quote I have been given :

News just in, that contrary to earlier reports, Avid are to close the UK Sibelius office, the home of the Sibelius development team, who knows where this leaves the future of Sibelius.

One long term Sibelius team member said “this is heartbreaking, it took us 15 years to build this business and it took Avid 15 months to wreck it.”

More to follow…

Update on Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at 12:34PM by Russ Hughes

Latest news is that the software is remaining and the work is being moved to a coding team in Kiev or Daly City. This will be to cut costs and is sadly normal practice for 90% of software houses.
Rich.

Reply #2
1) Market opportunities..? is a strange title for this. Looks like spam.

2) Sibelius supports export to musicxml. IMO, musicxml to nwctxt would be more useful.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Or even if NWC could natively export to MusicXML, that'd be hugely useful.

Reply #4
Yeah, with respect to MusicXML, I'd really love to see it native, but for existing Sib. files and for people without Sib. how are they going to managet the XML export in the first place?  Thus either a conversion tool or native file open capacity is indicated.

Hi Rick, RE spam: on reflection I see what you mean, though that was not, of course, my intent.  I've thus edited the title on the original post.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Are there market opportunities for NWC in the Sibelius space?

Reply #5
mxml2nwcc does a fair job of importing MusicXML directly into NWC.  I asked the author for the source and have updated its handling of lyrics, but do not have permission to release this version.

I think the work required to get Noteworthy any where near the visual output quality of Sib would make it impossible.  I have to use Sib for college, but am much happier with Noteworthy for note input and Lilypond for printed output.