Skip to main content
Topic: Continous Horizontal Staff - must pan to see? (Read 7367 times) previous topic - next topic

Continous Horizontal Staff - must pan to see?

The Noteworthy Composer seems to default to many measures on
a very large "one line horizontal staff". It would be
nice to view a staff continuation on multiple lines.
For example each line might contain 5 or 6 measures before
continuing to the next line. Is there a way to do this
in Noteworthy Composer?

Re: Continous Horizontal Staff - must pan to see?

Reply #1
No. Should it, at least as an option? There are a lot of other things I want first.

Reply #2
You can of course view the score page by page as it appears when printed, using the Print Preview option - perhaps this meets your requirements?

Reply #3
Let me equate the hard coded one line edit feature
with any word processor. Can you imagine the frustration a user might have if he/she were required to enter an entire document on one line? And then have to go to print
preview to see what it looks like? For $40 I think
Notworthy Composer should allow editing multiple lines.
There are less expensive Composers that have this feature.

Reply #4
Perhaps if you were only editing a small number of staves
wrapping would make sense. If you're editing an orchestral score, you won't fit all staves on the screen simultaneously, let alone wrap them.

The analogy with word processors is only really apt for a single stave, which is the degenerate case.

The separation of editing from final display is one of the KEY advantages of Noteworthy over other products.

Reply #5
I too thought that the single-line edit window was inadequate at first, having used two other (much more expensive) sequencers that did that. But having gotten used to it, I find the line-wrapping to be a real nuisance the rare time when I go back to the old expensive software (to export an old file, etc.) Much slower to refresh the screen, harder to see where the cursor position is during playing, and generally much more confusing.

I should add that I rarely work with less than four staves. Perhaps, as mentioned, if one or two staves were all one ever needed, the line-wrapping might be tolerable.

If such a feature were to be included in a future release, I would only ask that the option be included to turn it off.

Reply #6
When playing music and you hear something wrong, hit Escape, click on the score, and there you are! Fix it, then press F5 to continue.

I would like to see more score at a time, especially when copying music from one part to another. I think this is best accomplished by allowing two windows to view the same song file.

Reply #7
You could Save As... your file under another name, then spawn a second window. Voila! You can now cut/paste between them at will.

Reply #8
My question is, which are the less expensive composers?
Adam

Reply #9
My "question" is, which is the most usable on any computer? And the most reliable?

Dominique

Reply #10
I was thinking about D.Baker's thing about hard coded one-line edit in a word processor, and could see where his frustration was coming from. But as other folks here pointed out, wrapping staves becomes a nuisance when you work with more than one or two.

Also, why do you need to read "down the page"? I preview my stuff normally by listening to it. What I WOULD like is the ability to say "break this line here on output", so that I can make a piece fit a page EXACTLY.

Andrew

Reply #11
Another advantage of folding scores at the screen boundary would be to speed up getting to the bit one wants to edit. It can be a bit fiddly to find your place using the horizontal scroll bar in long pieces. An alternative (better?) means to do this would be to have a goto "mark" facility in addition to the goto measure number. If marks could be set during playback (when you hear the bum note you've entered) that could be even more useful.

Reply #12
About two windows of a same file, a great thing would be the ability to import twice (or more) the same midi file. At the time being, when you make an import, keep it open and want to try a 2nd one with other parameters (rest max value, ...), you are directly sent back to the already imported version. Making very difficult (and history-list destructive, since you got to "save as..." into temp names) to get the best version : I often import 3 times with diferent settings the same file, then cut/paste from the three to my final version (some staves are good in one version, some in another, ...)
wish wish...

Reply #13
Back to the original question, if you have good eyes you can at least "fit" more horizontal music onto your NWC editing screen by: 1. Making your PC's video resolution as small as you dare, and/or 2. Setting the "Staff Size in Points" (Page Setup, Options) down to the smallest number you can tolerate. One or both of these will get more measures visible on a single screen display.

Reply #14
I do all my NWC scoring on my notebook, with a 12.1" TFT screen set at 800-600 res, and I always set the Zoom level at 4. I can read it fine like that, and it makes comparing staves very easy even in large scores. Just a brag.
Adam

Reply #15
The cheaper ($20 )program out there is called abc. It's not nearly as musically intuitive and you need a separate program for another $10 to support midi. It's not as comprehensive in symbols and you have to toggle from a page of letters and other non musical markings to the staves,but you can control the # of bars on each line of music,and you can put a couple or more tunes on one page. It is the defalt program for anyone who plays fiddle tunes.