Skip to main content
Topic: Latency (Read 5751 times) previous topic - next topic

Latency

I am having trouble with using Noteworthy Composer 2 as a sequencer to record midi input; there is a latency of one half of a beat after a note is played on the keyboard. I am using the Midiman Uno 1x1 USB cable connected to a Kawai Keyboard. I used the MIDI-OX application to test for latency with the cable but the Midiman Uno showed no delay so the problem appears to be with Noteworthy. Has anyone else encountered this and solved this problem? I am using Windows 7 64 bit.

Re: Latency

Reply #1
Actually, the latency will most likely be in your soft synth.  I use a hardware synth when latency this matters.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
If that is the case why doesn't the latency show up when tested with the MIDI-OX application? The support tech at M-Audio (who makes the midi man uno) also believed, based on the test results, that the problem was with Noteworthy Composer.

Reply #3
Whatever you reckon - FWIW I record MIDI into NWC a lot, and the latency I deal with is in the synth - NWC has no inbuilt synth.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
I use an M-Audio Uno 1x1 for note entry with my Creative X-Fi soundcard.
I experience NO noticeable latency in any of the music programs I use, including NWC.

NWC just passes the MIDI messages to your sound device - that is where the problem lies.

Reply #5
Just a thought - do you have Local Control turned off on your keyboard?  If not, just maybe the keyboard synth is not getting the Note On signals immediately from NWC.  Also be sure that NWC is actually using MIDI-OX to the USB MIDI interface instead of the computer softsynth as the Available Playback Device.  Lastly, you may want to reinstall your MIDI interface drivers after closing NWC, then reboot and reconfigure your MIDI-OX input and output ports and confirm again that NWC is using the correct MIDI-OX port and the MIDI interface is connected to a MIDI-OX output port.  You might also want to try not using MIDI-OX but select the USB MIDI interface directly as the Available Playback Device and see if you are still getting latency.

Reply #6
I'm no MIDI expert, but I believe MIDI-OX is designed for use with softsynths, not hardware synths such as your keyboard. That would make me immediately suspect it (or something directly connected with it) as the problem.

Reply #7
Milton,
    Thanks I'll check to see if the local control is turned off.
    Regarding the playback device, I am not using MIDI OX but the Midi-Man Uno USB device that connects the keyboard to the computer. I only used MIDI-OX to test for latency as instructed to by the tech support at Midi-Man and no latency was found going from the keyboard to the computer directly. The latency shows up when sequencing with NWC.
     By the way, thanks for making what are actually useful suggestions! I am always amazed at how how people post responses in help forums who simply haven't read the question carefully or who have no idea what they are talking about and/or offer nothing in terms of a solution.