Skip to main content
Topic: Opening bar in single Staff (Read 3595 times) previous topic - next topic

Opening bar in single Staff

Recently upgraded to NWC 2.5.3 from NWC 2.1, I know that standard notation is not to place an initial bar when using single staff. But I prefer to see it. In previous versions it was possible by creating an empty second staff and allowing to be layered by the first one. With NWC 2.5.3 it is possible to add the initial bar to this single staff but when printing I can see it in the first line only. The same if I use a second staff as mentioned. I couldn’t find about this neither in Staff Properties nor in the User’s Guide, so please help me.

Re: Opening bar in single Staff

Reply #1
There's a kludge, but it's tedious....although a user tool might automate it. The procedure is:

• Force a system break on the last barline of each line.
  • Place a second barline directly after the barline with the system break.
  • Place a clef directly after the second barline.
  • Select the clef, bring up its properties dialog, and check "Disable automatic system clef."

It appears that this has to be done by hand at each point that the line breaks. You must also manually place a barline before the first clef of the piece. Remember to check "Exclude from bar count" on each extra barline.

Reply #2
This is being addressed in NWC 2.5.4
IMO, users with a Back Stage Pass should download the Beta rather than coercing NWC 2.5.3
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Many thanks for the replies. Doing it by hand is really tedious, but Beta 2.5.4 solved the problem. Anyway, I'd suggest a box where to check this option, (eg. in Staff Properties). That would be easier for the user.