Skip to main content
Topic: Change the position of a sharp (Read 11454 times) previous topic - next topic

Change the position of a sharp

Hello all,
I want an F-sharp noted in the old-fashioned way. I tried, but it does not line up nicely. I experimented with eights, but it is not quite what I want.
This is what I put together: http://rdenheijer.nl/IbiDaboTibi.nwc
so I want the sharp right over the f. Any suggestions please?

Re: Change the position of a sharp

Reply #1
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.5,Single)
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:#-3^|Visibility:Never
|Text|Text:"d"|Font:StaffCueSymbols|Pos:7|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Up
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #2
Or this:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.5,Single)
|Note|Dur:Whole,Grace|Pos:#-3z|Opts:Muted|Visibility:Never
|Text|Text:" d"|Font:StaffCueSymbols|Pos:7|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-3
If NWC would extend the range of 'Extra Accidental Spacing' to say, -1.25 or include the accidentals in the set of glyphs that can be used as noteheads, you could get it to light up during playback.

Now that the Viewer is so vastly improved, I wish that NWC would simply allow text to to have the property: 'highlight during playback'.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Thanks - that works, but it does shift the position of the quarter to the right.
What I was trying to do is: if you have four quarters like this, say, the distant should be equal.
Or almost equal, that is good enough. Playback is, for once, not important. That is why I put the sharp on another staff.
Maybe I should simply do this:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Text|Text:" #"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:8

and be done with it. The # sign is different than the sharp on a note, but that should be OK.

Reply #4
In viewer mode and print preview with either method the crotchets are equally spaced: only in editor mode is the spacing distorted.

And whyever not use 'Staff (Cue) Symbols" font? That way you get the correct sharp symbol.

Reply #5
And whyever not use 'Staff (Cue) Symbols" font? That way you get the correct sharp symbol.
'Cause he's still using NWC 2.1

Reply #6
On this computer, yes, Well, it's going anyway, so I might as well speed up that process and jump to the most recent version.
-- then again, why not on this one? Done. And the sharp looks, well, sharp.

Reply #7
Hmmm... I looked through the fonts. Is there no symbol for double whole notes yet? The box-like thing?

Reply #8
Is there no symbol for double whole notes yet?
For those with the current version of NWC2STDA.ttf installed there is:
 [ 

Or view the attachment.
There is also a breve rest. A longa rest requires 2 text entries :(

Reply #9
I did the automatic upgrade, from NWC 2. But the font is not there yet, because I see a large oblong.
Will investigate, thanks.
er? It is there, but with a creation date of 23 dec 2002?

Reply #11
You made this quite clear, and I cleaned up my act (on that score)
"About" now says 2.5.3.
OK, I did a computer reboot and restarted NWC 2 (2.5.3). It said "Attempting to re-install the font." Maybe it did, maybe it did not.Anyway, I still see a large oblong in your post of 12:53 (not in the .png of course)
Strange, no?

Reply #12
I honestly don't get it. If I copy the font to \windows\fonts, and in a Dos-box go to that directory, and type nwc2stda.ttf,
I see the characters in that font. But the longa is not there. 

http://rdenheijer.nl/nwc2stda.png

<edit>I don't know why but now I see your longa. But now NWC2 stopped working. That is: I see the staff labels (when I open something with staff labels) but no bars or notes.
Reinstallation time?
</edit>

Reply #13
I cannot reproduce what I did, but there it is:
- I replaced nwc2stda.ttf: the \Windows\Fonts directory had a wrong version of this font
- I did at least two reboots

and now it works. I can enter the desired notes as symbols. Not the old "Hey Presto!" feeling but the outcome is good.

Reply #14
That is so odd! I advised one of my "users" to install the new Viewer. And what do you think?
He saw a message like "The nwc2stda.ttf font cannot be found on the system."

The solution was simple enough. The error message told him what to do (but it was a bit difficult; the good man is a well-meaning O.A.P.) so I uploaded the font to my own site, mailed him the link and some instructions, and it worked. He can now use the viewer.
However, it is strange that installing the viewer should run into problems like this!

The only reason I can think of is: Bert (my user) had a copy of Noteworthy 1.75 open. But I wonder.

Reply #15
He saw a message like "The nwc2stda.ttf font cannot be found on the system."

The solution was simple enough. The error message told him what to do (but it was a bit difficult;

I am not familiar with a scenario such as is described here. What did the error message tell him to do?

The latest NWC Viewer automatically validates the system to ensure that the NWC 2.5 font is correctly installed in the system. If it is unable to install or replace the font, then an error message is given. A system restart will generally solve these kind of problems, and then the Viewer can be (re)installed.

Reply #16
It said:

====================================================
The nwc2stda.ttf font cannot be found on the system.

The font was added to your system during the setup process. It has
either been removed, or your system did not accept the new font
during the setup process.

You can find this font in the same folder as this program. You can
correct this problem by manually installing this font into your system,
or by running setup again.
====================================================

This happened to me too when I first installed the upgrade to NWC 2.5.2, and I think the font was not added because I was foolish enough not to close NWC before I did the upgrade. That is why I advised Bert to copy the font to \windows\fonts, and reboot (that seemed the easiest set of instructions.)

Reply #17
Still wishing for the lunga as a note-head instead of a symbol when working with music in 4/2 time.....
Jim in Cleveland

Reply #18
The other day my daughter installed the viewer on a PC which did not have nwc. She played a file that I mailed her. The next day, she got Rob's exact message when starting the viewer. We had to install the font manually. We found it in the programs/noteworthy folder, I think. (We didn't have internet at that moment.) It'a s Vista machine.

Reply #20
Still wishing for the lunga as a note-head instead of a symbol when working with music in 4/2 time.....
In music, a lunga is an articulation (a femata on steriods :) ). Perhaps you are confusing lunga with longa (a double breve).

Reply #21
Actually, I just call them double whole notes.  I thought I was typing what I saw earlier in the post, but I may have misread/mistyped.

Thanks for clarifying.

Jim
Jim in Cleveland

Reply #22
In music, a lunga is an articulation (a femata on steriods :) ). Perhaps you are confusing lunga with longa (a double breve).

Ah... Ars longa, vita brevis. That should make it easy to remember ;-)