Skip to main content
Topic: a note on the NWC-keybord/sheet sounds a semitone to high (Read 6743 times) previous topic - next topic

a note on the NWC-keybord/sheet sounds a semitone to high

Hello,
has anyone ever faced this problem:
A note played from the NWC-sheet or on the NWC-keybord sounds a semitone to high compared to a tuner.
A NWC-"C" sounds as a "C#" etc.
No transposition is made, so that's not the reason. What other reason(s) can there be?

Thanks in advance

/Sistaskriket

Re: a note on the NWC-keybord/sheet sounds a semitone to high

Reply #1
Have you checked for MPC pitch bend changes?
Rich.

Reply #2
Another question:
Is the tuner correct?

Suggestion: Download and install "AP TUNER" and check NWC with it.

My experience has been that NWC is spot-on with A at 440Hz.

Reply #3
NWC has nothing to do with the "production" of sound it only sends instructions to your sound device.
If the tuning is faulty that is where the problem lies.

Reply #4
removed by author.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
Thank you all for your suggestions.
I have checked with AP Tuner. I don't know anything about the MultiPointController - have never used it. Think I have checked everything and this problem has emerged recently. I can't remember having this problem earlier.
On my other computer I don't have this problem playing NWC-sheets.

Still - can there bee any settings in NWC or somewhere else which may cause this problem?

Best regards
Hartmut

Reply #6
If both computers are running the same version of NWC, and you are playing the exact same file on both machines, and the playback is different, the problem MUST be with your computer hardware or software (sound card settings, drivers, etc.).

Reply #7
If both computers are running the same version of NWC, and you are playing the exact same file on both machines, and the playback is different, the problem MUST be with your computer hardware or software (sound card settings, drivers, etc.).

Complete agreement here -- it just raises curiosity. 

How could a computer sound card or other system hardware, or its driver, give a C# instead of a C?

Here with this hardware setup NoteWorthy is spot-on accurate to a digital tuner.  It also agrees with a piano that was professionally, separately tuned (that was also done digitally, of course).

How could a computer system give a sound that's a semitone off?

Joe

Reply #8
How could a computer system give a sound that's a semitone off?
a) Settings in the synth
b) bad tuning in the samples (assuming a sound font etc.)
c) other stuff I can't think of in a hurry...

One thing we haven't been told is whether ALL notes are sharp or if it's just "C"...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #9
Thank you all for trying to help.
Unfortunately it didn't help much.
I made a very easy test.
Played a melody from  Youtube on both computers simultanously and to my great surprise the computer "with the NWC-problem" sounded a semitone higher than than the other. So it's not a NWC-problem anymore.
Now I have to find out why/how the soundcard has changed. But that's a different problem.
Thank you!
Hartmut

Reply #10
Ah Ha!!!

Check out the sound card settings for sampling rate.  I'd hazard a guess that it's been changed to 48kHz from 44.1kHz.  Change it back to 44.1kHz and there's a good chance that your sounds will come back to 440 A concert pitch.

HOW to do this will depend on your sound card and it's management software.

BUT, try going into Control Panel | Sounds and Audio Devices | Audio (tab) | Sound Recording - default device | Advanced button...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #11
Thank you all for trying to help.
Unfortunately it didn't help much.
It is hard to offer advice on sound output without knowing what is being used to generate the sound.

Now I have to find out why/how the soundcard has changed. But that's a different problem.
I would start with powering down the computer long enough to get a cup of coffee.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #12
Problem solved!!!!
I uninstalled the soundcard Realtech Audio HD. Then looked for changes in machine-configuration and found a the soundcard wich I reinstalled. That solved the problem.
Thank's everybody!