Skip to main content
Topic: NWC 2.5.2 - Behaves badly on playback - HELP! (Read 5119 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC 2.5.2 - Behaves badly on playback - HELP!

Hello!

I've been using NWC for more than 7 years as a registered user, and I had been using it earlier as an unregistered one for long time.

I upgraded yesterday from version 2.1 to 2.5.2, and I already regret having done it! :-(

I'm typing old slow sacred music, in time 6/2. The typical set of measures is like this (Lyrics: Gra-ti-as a-gi-mus ti-bi):

Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.5,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:Bb|Tonic:F
|Instrument|Patch:52|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:7|Wide:Y
|Tempo|Tempo:120|Pos:11|Visibility:Never
|TimeSig|Signature:6/2
|Note|Dur:Whole,Dotted|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-1
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole,Dotted|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-2
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:-1^
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

The issue is: if you try playing it with NWC 2.5.2, you'll hear a sort of unavoidable rest after each note. In all NWC versions until 2.1, these rests used to always have the same duration (short!), but now they don't: the longer the note before, the longer the implicit rest after it!

This makes the entire score sound extremely crippled and disastrously hilarious. :-(

I could use either a "legato" or a "tenuto" Performance Style, but this is not the effect I want! I just want my old rests back, keeping notes separate but not driving me mad when I listen to the score!

I still have my old NWC Viewer installed and renaming the .bak file I could save it as it was in the previous 2.1 version. With the old player, it sounds great as ever... ;-)

Thanks for your support!

Aure
Italy

P.S.: Will we ever be able to use unicode text and lyrics? :-/

Re: NWC 2.5.2 - Behaves badly on playback - HELP!

Reply #1
I confirm that playback is different. In a technical sense, it is probably more accurate in NWC 2.5
I am undecided if this is a practical improvement.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
I see the point. It is also interesting that if you take the 2.5 version and export to midi and then read into 1.75 (given that doing that is not an exact science), you can easily see where some of the additional rests come in.

So :
2.5 shows :
Dotted whole note, half note, whole note, | dotted whole note, half note, whole note | two tied whole notes whole note.

Import on 1.75 gives :
Whole note tied to quarter, quarter rest, half note, whole note | Whole note tied to quarter, quarter rest, half note, whole note | dotted whole note tied to half note, whole note.

Exporting to midi from 1.75 and then back to 1.75 does not give these extra rests.

Of course I appreciate that the whole subject of exporting from 2.5 as midi and importing to 1.75 is totally flawed.
Rich.

Reply #3
Your concern has been noted, and will be reviewed.

Background: The current play back style was added to NWC 2.5 to allow more expressive possibilities using staccato/tenuto/staccatissimo/slur combinations.  The changes went through an extended beta testing cycle. The original NWC Viewer 2.5 beta from August 2010 included these changes.

Reply #4
On possible solution to this dilemma, as seen in a certain program whose name suggests the end of the show, is to offer multiple play back style modes.  In this case, a style called "Legacy" could be used to bring back the sound that Aure is looking for.

Since I generally only use playback to verify correct pitches, I don't really have a strong opinion on playback issues in general, which is probably why I didn't even notice this particular change in the beta testing.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #5
Changes to the 2.5 performance engine are included in NWC 2.5.3 (currently at Beta 1) and the NWC Viewer 2.5 Beta 10.

The changes make NWC 2.5 play back performance more consistent with performances from earlier releases.

Reply #6
Aure's clip plays much better in 2.5.3 beta one.

Export as midi and re-import to NWC 1.75 no longer has rests inserted.
Rich.