Skip to main content
Topic: Play-Only Mode for Copyright Protection (Read 7167 times) previous topic - next topic

Play-Only Mode for Copyright Protection

There is a reluctance to post NWC files on the internet for fear of breaching copyright protection. Whereas a MIDI file may be considered to be a performance, an NWC file provides the opportunity to make printed copies.

A possible solution is to have Noteworthy export an "NWP" file type, that can only be played in Noteworthy Player or in Noteworthy Composer with editing, copying and printing disabled.

This should be an easy feature to implement and help increase distribution of NWC music and promotion of Noteworthy in general.

Re: Play-Only Mode for Copyright Protection

Reply #1
I was trying to think of something similar to suggest and was thinking along the lines of a password lock on the file - could only be unlocked for editing by entering the correct password.

But I like this idea better - just an export function to an NWP file that can be played by either composer or player but that can't be edited or re-saved in any way.

It would be neat -

Wish list here I come

Richard

Reply #2
The goal is to prevent people printing from a "NWP" file. I think it would be sufficient to disable Cut and Copy to the clipboard, and Print. I see nothing wrong with letting someone modify and save the file, but that does not really matter.

Reply #3
Sure, but if the person just adds a rest, save, then remove the rest in the new file, the print facility would be restored... A password would be a good solution. Though I dislike that kind of practice.

Reply #4
I don't understand the purpose of this. Copyright applies
to copies--whether printed on paper or magnetized on disk--
as well as to performances. Although it is legally possible,
I have a hard time imagining anyone completely relinquishing
performance rights but restricting paper copies.

Reply #5
Once the file is an NWP, it stays that way forever. Maybe allowing editing does not make sense, especially with copy & paste disabled. There is no need for passwords.

I think there is a difference between performing a piece (which is effectively what a MIDI file is) and making printed copies, which is what many of these authors try to make a living selling. This proposal is intended to let us use Noteworthy to give people a way of viewing the music as well as hearing it, without effectivly giving away copies of the printed score.

Reply #6
Someone who _really_ wanted to rip off a printed copy could still use any of a number of screen-capture programs to capture chunks, then splice them all together.

Reply #7
They would have to ___R E A L L Y____ want to rip it off! You would have to patch the beginning and ending of every staff line, and get blocky output at screen resolution on the printout. It would be easier to hack the NWC file to turn off the play-only bit.

Reply #8
Or capture the midi playing to another midi program that did notation. But I think that folks doing that are probably already photocopying printed sheet music anyway, so I don't see play-only NWC as any worse than midi. And in fact, if it becomes so difficult to import to other programs, would effectively be a "performance only".

My understanding is that performances of pieces are treated very differently to copies of pieces. Anyone with any copyright knowledge out there?

A

Reply #9
Entering your copyright notice in the file is all the
protection you need. Honest folk will honor it and not
make illegal copies. Dishonest folk who want to make
illegal copies will do so no matter how many tricks and
hacks you play. Indeed, I'd argue that adding artificial
limits, passwords etc both limits your scope (what if I
want to hear your work on different instruments or in
a different key?) and tends to encourage cracking.

As has been pointed out, whatever you do can be trivially
bypassed by capturing the MIDI output and reconstructing
the NWC file.

Reply #10
What do you mean by "your copyright notice". You mean all I have to do is say "Please don't copy this" and I can post anything I want without worrying about copyright infringement?

I disagree that capturing Midi output bypasses protecting the NWC file. The result is far from usable as a printed score, and often does not even play back correctly (eg. triplets).

Reply #11
Copyright law is complex, and I am not an expert. But I am
confident that this is correct:
1) Performance rights and copying rights are different.
That is, you may be given the right to perform, but not
the right to make copies, or vice versa. But both rights
exclusively belong to the "copyright owner" until he gives
them away. This means that you may have a copy and not
have the right to perform it. It does not mean that anyone
can get the right to perform your music without your
permission, whether or not their copy of the score was legally made.

2) A MIDI file is a copy, not a performance, as any lawyer
will tell you, arguing from either case law or analogy.
Just because it's not on paper doesn't mean it's not a copy:
.fax, .bmp, .txt, .doc, .wmf, or .mid files are all various
ways of encoding electronic copies of ink-splattered pieces
of paper. If you encrypted or compressed the file, it would
still be a copy. Just because it takes a computer to view
the information doesn't make it a copy--see above. Just
because you change the form of the information doesn't make
it any less a copy--you take my book, translate it into
French and print it in green ink on a parchment scroll: it's
still a copy (or, at most, a derivative work, which is
covered by the same law and principles.)

3) Now: MIDI files can be performed by a computer, unlike some other file formats. So if you don't play a file itself,
you may only be breaching one clause of the law. If someone
downloads (copies!) your MIDI file and then PLAYS it, they
can breach two clauses: unauthorized copying AND
unauthorized performance. This is the real point of the
distinction between copying and performance rights.

Reply #12
So there is no legal difference between a midi file and a NWC file. The midi file is just a bad copy (a lot of information is lost), while the NWC file is only a much better copy. If this is true, then my proposal serves no useful purpose as far as protecting ourselves is concerned, and we can post our NWC files anywhere MIDI files get posted (and take our chances!)

Reply #13
Please help me to see better the difference between a
copy and a performance, with these two scenarios :

1) I have purchased a score of, say, the Beatles. I create
a NWC file by copying all notes of the score, then I export
the result as a MIDI file.

2) With the same score, I play it on my electric piano,
and record the performance into a MIDI file directly.

May I consider that first scenario is a copy, and second
one is a performance ? Or is it a copy in both cases ?

Is it different if the composer is in the public domain
(e.g. Bach instead of the Beatles) ? And if I didn't
look at any score, but heard the music on the radio ?

Reply #14
This is a fascinating thread! Oliver, when you purchased the printed score of your Beatles music you also inherently purchased the right to play it for your personal enjoyment. But if you wish to perform it in public, particularly for financial reward, you should first obtain performance rights from the copyright holders. This will cost you from peanuts to megabucks, depending on the scale and number of performances, and the music in question. As I see it, a private personal performance is a one-off - the sound waves dissipate and are lost for ever. But if you record that performance, you are then entering the next realm, not yet mentioned in this thread, of recording rights, whether the recording is stored on vinyl, CD, tape etc. or as a MIDI file. And the recording rights don't necessarily belong to the music publisher - they may have been purchased by a recording company.

It doesn't matter where the music originates - heard on the radio, someone whistling a tune or whatever. If copyright has been claimed for that music, you should not copy it without permission. Taken to the limit, the above mentioned whistler is probably breaking performance copyright, but in general it would seem that the publishers/copyright holders aren't concerned *unless they stand to lose financially*. This is the crux of all copyright matters. So if I notate or store as MIDI or record a copyrighted song for my own use, no problem, particularly if I have already purchased the song in some form. But as soon as I distribute it, watch out!

I'm a bit fuzzy regarding public domain music, but it is inadvisable to photocopy a printed score - the musical content is P.D., but the score itself has its own copyright which belongs to the publishers. Again, apply the criterion - does anyone stand to lose money in any way if you copy (in any form) and distribute some music. If the answer is yes, tread carefully!

Having said the above, as we all know many people sing/play music in pubs, clubs etc. without any thought to copyright matters. But distribution on the Internet where access can be gained by millions, and in all likelihood your name and e-mail address is available is another matter. There is a huge amount of music already available on some Web sites, Classical MIDI Connection being a case in point. If anyone there reads this, perhaps they would care to comment on their position re copyright.

Well, I've rambled on quite long enough. 'Bye for now, Peter.

Reply #15
Playing the MIDI file is like whistling the tune - it may violate copyright but no one cares because no one stands to lose financially. The NWC file lets someone get a good quality printed score, which may replace buying a legitimate version, which does hurt financially. So a Play-Only mode would provide some protection.

Reply #16
I think password protection would be the most very best idea ever! Please think about it NWC!

Reply #17
Hello!
I totaly disagree the use of "blocking techniques" it will just complicate things. Copyright is complex, and has others saids it not matters where you ear it as long it has copyright you "can not use it" except for your personal listen.

I know various musician that you give them a cassette and they will reproduce it the same way you read paper but all of them recognize copyright matters.

As for the performance, musician are human and depending of the humor of that day a same musician will play a song in diferent way, so the copyright "can not be specific" to a certain interpretation.

Copyright are for the interpretation, the music sheet the word.

For better understanding let say you take the song of your favorit artist who is in rock and make a version in pop you are breaking the rule of the copyright and the owner can pursuit you.

As long that someone can recognize that the song was writen by an other person, no matter how you play, the copyright will still be active.

So as you can see the copyright is very large, and does not stand for the music partition it self but for the ensemble of the song.

Other thing, you can "jam" a day with your musician and record all your "jaming" if you put copyright on it, even if you dont have partition for it, the day you will make the partition they will be automaticly protected by the copyright you have on the song.

Hoping that it will help to understand copyright.
Alain