Skip to main content
Topic: Installing on a Netbook (Read 5120 times) previous topic - next topic

Installing on a Netbook

I have seen some discussion about this, but have not seen any resolution.  I have a Netbook, i.e. no disc drive, which is NOT networked with my other computers (it is running Win 7, the others XP, and I can't get them to play nice).  I tried to "rip" the installation CD to an .iso file, but the program I used wouldn't do it (it did work with Corel WordPerfect) so I can't transfer the .iso and mount it as a virtual drive.

Is there a way to get NWC installed on this device????

Re: Installing on a Netbook

Reply #1
G'day Cyril,
rather than try to create an .iso, why not just copy the entire CD to a folder (preserving directory structure of course) on a USB stick?  AFAIK there's no "funny stuff" on the CD that would stop this working...

For that matter, USB optical drives aren't that expensive and may well be helpful in other situations.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I've never had a problem with networking between XP and Windows 7 machines. You should be able to just share your CD drive from your XP machine to your LAN, then connect to it from the Windows 7 machine.

For installing the CD version, you could also copy the installer exe from the CD onto a thumb drive.

Reply #3
And failing all that, you could email the installer.exe file to yourself.  If you use Gmail, you'll have to renamed the extension first to something bogus like .cow and then rename it back.
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI