Skip to main content
Topic: Cakewalk to NoteWorthy? (Read 5857 times) previous topic - next topic

Cakewalk to NoteWorthy?

I am planning to purchase the Noteworthy Composer soon. I have been using Cakewalk Home Studio 6.0 until now (it's too buggy, and doesn't have enough notation features.) Anyway, I was wondering if anyone was aware of a way to convert Cakewalk files directly to the Noteworthy format. I know that I could save the file as a MIDI in Cakewalk and Import it in NoteWorthy, but then I would lose my dynamic markings and such.

Thanks in advance,

Martin Goldman

Re: Cakewalk to NoteWorthy?

Reply #1
No, unfortunately there isn't such a utility available. I have the same problem with files I had done using Cubasis (same problem, inadequate scoring capability). For awhile I was doing everything twice... Cubasis for the sound, and NWC for the scoring. But once I learned the finer points of NWC, I found I can get just as good (if not better) control over sound, and a lot faster too.

It would be wonderful if some enterprising programmer-type were to write conversions for Cakewalk *.wrk and Cubase *.arr files to NWC.

Fred

Reply #2
Typically, to write such a converter, two things are needed: documentation about the file format of the input (Cubasis, Finale, Encore, Cakewalk...) when it is not MIDI, and the file format of the output (NWC/NTW). Since there is a part of the protection scheme in the NWC files, I guess we couldn't be allowed to know all of the NWC file format; but in that case a format of the "private clipboard" could be enough (i.e. the output would not come into a file, but in the clipboard and you would just "paste" the results. But what if more than one staff ???)

About it, what is a ".kar" file ? (as Karaoke I guess???)

How good it'd be to know how to add plug-ins... I'm sure many programmers are ready out there. ;-)

NWC rules!

Reply #3
Yes, *.kar files are for karaoke.

They are basically a midi file with lyrics saved with one of the tracks. I have been checking out a lot of Karaoke creators/editors, but have found most of them to be not near as easy to use as Noteworthy. It would be nice if Noteworthy supported *.kar files.

Maybe we could put that on the wishlist?

doug

Reply #4
Thanks for the info. I just searched for .kar files and found some (look at http://perso.wanadoo.fr/surfin-charly/sframes/karaoke/karaoke.htm and follow the links at the bottom).
NWC support them (with FileImport) perfectly --for the music part. For the lyrics part, it's not (yet?) included, but I wonder how NWC'd know on which staff to place them.
For now, you can use a tool à la Unix such as "strings" to get the lyrics.
{get a "strings" tool (just to try, it's copyrighted) at http://homepages.infoseek.com/~marsu/strings.exe ; you can read the doc at http://homepages.infoseek.com/~marsu/strings.txt, but I recommend the following syntax :
strings -aN -n 2 YourFile.KAR > YourFile.txt
}
then cut and paste the lyrics into NWC.

If NWC could export to .kar too, it would be a good thing too (and that would allow NWC to be more known maybe :-) since many karaoke users can't read music, and are afraitd but this small dots and lines!

Hope this helps,
                              NWCly yours

Reply #5
In my experience Cakewalk is incapable of playing midi files correctly when the midi tempo exceeds about 240. This can result in fast music being played very slowly - I think the reason is because it uses an old format whereby the tempo is stored in a single byte rather than two bytes.

Reply #6
I'm assuming that cake walk can extract midi files. So why no expot a standard midi file then import the standard midi file in NWC