Skip to main content
Topic: scroll lock (Read 32552 times) previous topic - next topic

scroll lock

As maybe a few users know, the "scroll lock" key (near PrintScreen key, upper right) has a special function: it allows the user to scroll a document (try in an XL sheet, word doc, many standard scrollable windows) without moving the cursor.
I found that NWC doesn't support this (can't remembe if it did on earlier versions). Maybe this support could be added (it allows the user to do with keyboard what he/she could do with the mouse on scrollbars).

Just to know what other users think of this...

Note: I do _NOT_ like using the mouse ;) in case you didn't notice (why limiting oneself to 1 (MacOS), 2 or 3 buttons when you have 102 (or 105) keys???)

NWCly yours,
                MAD

Re: scroll lock

Reply #1
Would you elaborate on this? I am not able to notice any special behaviour in MS-Word when Scroll Lock is on.

Reply #2
Sorry, you're right about Word. I didn't checked back.
But it is true for eXceL: when scroll lock is on, you can use the cursor keys (or PgDn, Pgup) to move the sheet without moving the selected cell(s), just as clicking with the mouse on scrollbars.

In NWC this could, for instance, allow to quickly go back to the beginning of a score (to check Key signature or whatever) without losing the current selection or place.

I remember to have read more on the "scroll lock" key function in the Windows SDK (inthe book about standard Windows GUI, which documents Ctrl-F6, Alt-PgDown, Ctrl-Tab, and so on. Can't remind the name of it).

HTH
    Marsu

Reply #3
I'm sorry.. but Page Up and Page Down work anyway in things like Excel, even without the scroll lock button on. I'm going to go with this theory: Maybe it does nothing at all, and is just to put there so people spend every waking moment of their life trying to figure out what the heck it does.

Reply #4
Everyone knows that the scroll lock was designed for one purpose alone. At least everyone who played Rise of the Triad (A poor FPS before true 3d). This game had the great feature that however badly the game crashed (and it did - often) you could get back to the DOS prompt using the scroll lock key, to be greeted with the phrase "Scroll Lock Pressed!". This is the only ever documented use of the scroll lock key.

The scroll lock light is another matter entirely that was originally included just to enable people to simulate the KIT lights (from knightrider) through rapid key pressing.

Hope this has been enlightening
Phil

Reply #6
You may be intersested to know that PC Format Magazine run a cartoon on the "Scroll Lock" key in November 2000 issue

Reply #7
This forum contains some great information from experienced users like Fred. It also contains some pleasant and refreshing vignettes, even on 2 year old threads! Keep up the good work.

Reply #8
If I recall correctly... I think SimCity used it! If it was on, you wouldn't automatically scroll if you put the cursor at the edge of the screen. Other than that... No, I don't think it has a use.

Reply #9
Didn't "scroll lock" originally have some sort of use in DOS?

Reply #10
Ok, scroll lock works in eXcel. If you push the up and down arrows with scroll lock off then it moves to the next vertical cell. If you press up and down when the scroll lock is on then it scrolls the screen without changing the current cell your in. It's equivalent to scrolling using the mouse and the scroll bar.

Reply #11
Hey, you're right! Learn something new every day... :)

Reply #12
My theory on the scroll lock key is that it has no pre-defined use,

But when in the codeing a program you could probable add a conditional statement that made the keys do other actions.

for example:

if (down arrow pressed & scroll lock on) then
//do cool thing

Else {
//do normal
}

Thats why in most programms it dont do squat, but in others like ms Excel it has a purpose....

...Slinky...

Reply #13
On Via voice, the speech programe, you use to switch the mic on, although F12 is more useful

Reply #14
http://www.disability-network.org.uk/Computalk.htm

The Scroll Lock key is no longer used for its original purpose of stopping words disappearing off the top of the screen when it becomes full. The only function Microsoft assigns to the key now is when you use the Windows 98 Magnifier. If you have a Magnifier installed, press Scroll Lock while holding down the Windows key to copy the magnified screen. Step 3. The Pause key does nothing inWindows, but is useful in MS-DOS where it freezes the screen and stops words disappearing before you have a chance to read them. Try it out by restarting your PC and waiting for some of those mysterious lines of text that flash briefly into view when Windows loads. If you hit the Pause key at the right time, they'll stay on screen and remain there until you press any other key to release them. The Break function on the Pause key (hold down Control while pressing Pause) was designed to stop MS-DOS programs that had run out of control or to sever a link with a modem. Windows programs don't respond to the Break key. Step 4.

Reply #15
it makes that little light go on :-P

Reply #16
whats the average life expectancy of the light anyway? :P

Reply #17
It does that ? WOW !! , and guess what ? , u press it agen , it goes off...

Reply #18
oh my just yesterday i found out that the key-board look incomlet if i wasn't there and three is beeter than 2

Reply #19
Well , i think , it would be like the keyboard without a scroll lock totally %&#$@# up....

Reply #20
woooooohoooooo and it has a coolllll light wowwww im amazed
does it change color aswell?

Reply #21
I think if you hold the scroll lock down long enough a pizza deliver screen pops up... no fancy colors tho:(

Reply #22
I just try that and it works!! But the pizza man took 5 min longer than useal. That maybe cause be some network problems experienced by his protocalls listed under network... actualy if you hold it a little bit longer down , the pizza man take less time. But i still think that little light look funny.

Reply #23
Dont make me talk to your manager boy!

Reply #24
ok thats it
theres a fly in my soup
im calling the manager!

Reply #25
About that Pizza thing, I ordered a Hawaiin Pizza and thay came with a sweet-and-sour chicken, maby becuase I had Caps lock on aswell, well, dunno but it took 2 min to receive the pizza

Reply #26
how my key presses for a pizza? and whats the key combination for online hooker order?

is there a extra charge for using the scroll lock service?

*ponders*

Reply #27
WTF is wrong with you people?
The scroll lock is only for one thing:
excercising your power over the keyboard. You press it,
you OWN the keyboard. It shows the computer who's REALLY in control. Try it next time the computer is screwing up...
"Hey, you don't listen to me? Well.. {SCROLL LOCK} so naaah!" Unfortunatley, this doesn't work after a certain point when the computer completeley stops responding... it won't come on anymore.. then the computer is controlling something you own... lates.

Reply #28
I find jus exeles use to scroll lock but nothink more

Reply #29
AMAAAAZING....
The true purpose of the "scroll lock key" seems to that of a chinese puzzle. One little button that toggles a light - and we've all spent 2 years contemplating the use thereof.
Productivity - Ya've gotta be kidding!

Reply #30
Zen philosophy question: If a scroll-lock key is pressed and the light is burned out, is it actually on?

Reply #31
The "scroll lock" key obviously as clearly implied by the very name functions to lock the scroll.

Reply #32
...or is it to scroll the lock? ;-)

Reply #33
I believe the term "scroll lock" is a carryover from medieval monasteries. It is related to the modern term, "writer's block."

Reply #34
lol the true use for scroll lock is to fill in the gap between print screena dn pause......i think microsoft was better off putting in some other kind of key...like a "hit computer upside the head when it stops responding" key. bt i think they will have to abbreviate it cause all those words cant fit on that singel key.....if you dont like it, you can always get a screwdriver and tear it out and then put duct tape on the light. i wont do that, me and my scroll lock key have become good friends. i turn him on and he just lays htere.....wait... i HATE THAT THING!!!!
:::gets screwdriver and a roll of duct tape::: there....no more scrolly =P

Reply #35
well in my case I just hooked up a resistor a watch battery and a bigger led to my scroll lock, now its so easy to find the bathroom at night !

Reply #36
Well, unless I'm wrong (which is more often than I'd like to admit), Scroll Lock was around before M$ cursed.... I mean joined... the PC world...

Reply #37
I don't know about the pizza guy, but I do know that if you turn on the accesibility features in windows the scroll lock key also controls a little beep and can be used with the Num Lock key, which is only a bit more useful, to simulate warm-ups for brass instruments.

Reply #38
I use it for morus code with my friend across the office, it works rather well.

Reply #39
the coolest thing about my scroll lock key, is that it's
the only real CLEAN key i have, actually it's the only one that is readable...

Reply #40
DUH!!

The Scroll Lock key has 4 uses: 1 already mentioned (hidden features of a program unLOCKed with the key

2) the pizza one (try southern chicken deep pan, v. nice)

3) the excel one

and 4)

So geeky computer guys can open up the keyboard and attach laser guns, panic alarms etc where the scroll lock light is.

Reply #41
Hey, guys, guys. Think a little of the inventor of the Einsteinlly key! He must feel a bit embarrassed. I think we should ask the man, even though I don't know who he is, but my best guess at the moment is that that key is a mistake (as well as he might be).