Skip to main content
Topic: Beamed notes (Read 3473 times) previous topic - next topic

Beamed notes

Say I have 3-4, 1/8 notes stems up and beamed and below them I have 3-4, 1/8 notes stems down. only 1 set can be beamed.  Is there a way to beam both upper and lower sets ?
                                                                           Thanx Rik

Re: Beamed notes

Reply #1
Only with layers....but they work well.

Reply #2
I have tried layering several different ways of layering but nothing changes. I went to nwc help and that was no help either. can you give me a step by step procedure on how to accomplish the beaming?              

Thank you
                                      Rik

Reply #3
Check the attached example (prepared with NWC 2.1). Be sure to look at it both with and without "allow layering" activated. Basically, there are two staves which are layered together to look like one. The top staff of the two has the checkbox labeled "layer with next staff" checked on the "visual" tab of the staff properties dialog box; on the lower staff, that box is left unchecked. On the upper staff the stems have all been forced into the upward position (highlight the notes and press <shift><up arrow>). On the lower staff the stems have been forced downward (<shift><down arrow>). Assign both staves to the same MIDI channel (or at least to the same instrument) if you want playback to sound correct.

To layer the two staves together in NWC 2.1, press either the "viewer mode" button (the set of eyeglasses) or the "allow layering in edit mode" button (the button, usually next to the "viewer mode" button, that looks like a capital letter "E" with the center bar offset to the left). In earlier versions of the program, check the "allow layering" menu selection on the "view" menu.

HTH -

Bill