Skip to main content
Topic: better midi rendition (Read 10908 times) previous topic - next topic

better midi rendition

Has anyone had any luck finding a better quality midi player which can be used with nwc generated midi files?
The only option in my Vista PC sounds makes everyone sound like a fairground organ, except piano which is passable.
So I researched on the internet but couldn't get anything to work, especially since none of these things can show HELP on Vista.I've now soent as much time as I can and I am appealing for help.!

Re: better midi rendition

Reply #1
Have you tried any of the VST options that have been discussed in this forum?

If not, have a look at the two documents on the Scriptorium supplied by Lawrie Pardy and Rich Nagel.
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Vst.

Either of them will work either directly with NWC or with a midi file generated from NWC.
Rich.

Reply #2
You may wish to try Synthfont (which is a program that plays midi files) in combination with a Merlin Soundfont Bank (which has a selection of general midi instruments that can be loaded into Synthfont). I hope that helps. This is new territory to me.
Dheo

Reply #3
Many thanks - I will get back when I have tried  these things

Reply #4
Great - the Synthfont plus Merlin solution worked out very well. Thankyou. This is an interesting topic. I notice as a clarinet player , the clarinet sound is not one of the best examples of a synthetic sound. Brass, strings and keyboards come out much better, but Merlin is quite good enough.
Maybe sampling is the next step up.

Reply #5
To these ears, clarinet is better in the Airfont 340 font.  I've used Merlin Vienna and Merlin Audigy, but neither seemed to handle a clarinet slur very well -- the notes still came out separated.  The Airfont 340 is better at it.  A Google search shows several sites for downloading.

Also, flute and oboe are quite good in the Airfont (to these ears).

Hoping it's helpful,

Joe

Reply #6
I use Sinfonia36 soundfont with Synthfont.  But this is my personal preference.  Does anyone else use it ? 

Reply #7
I would like to try the Sinfonia36 soundfonts but I can't open them up. Do you have a step by step way to access them ??
dheo

Reply #8
Sinfonia36 soundfont can be obtained from here:

http://www.users.waitrose.com/~floatingworld/sinfonia.htm

This page has all the instructions on how to decompres the four RAR files into one  EXE and how to use the resultng soundfont with Creative soundcards.

But you can also use Sinfonia36 (or any other soundfont mentioned here) without the need of using a Creative soundcard.  This is done by using the soundfont through the software Synthfont, which you can get here:

http://www.synthfont.com/

You can use this method to render midi (or nwc exported as midi) directly to MP3 or WAV files.