Skip to main content
Topic: Symbols (Read 3892 times) previous topic - next topic

Symbols

Is there by any chance I can put these symbols to my notes? If you know how please tell me.
Arpeggiated chord
Trill
Mordent
Tremolo

Thank you.
-Stephen

Re: Symbols

Reply #1
Hi Stephen,

Welcome to the forum.  If you authenticate yourself on the forum as a valid NWC user, you'll get "backstage" access to a number of goodies.  Among them is this link, which I think gives you much of what you ask:
https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=7375.0

Randy

Reply #2
Those symbols aren't currently available natively in NWC. However, there are several user fonts available on the Scriptorium (http://nwc-scriptorium.org/) which contain them. Check out particularly Boxmarks2 and the various user fonts prepared by Lawrie Pardy. Once you have downloaded and installed one of these fonts, set it as a user font on the Fonts tab (under page setup on the file menu, or just click the open book symbol on the button bar), and then you can insert any of the symbols in the font as a text object. You will have to fake the sound on a separate, hidden staff, but that's not usually difficult. Just write it out the way you want it to sound (e.g., alternating 64th notes a step apart for a trill).

Reply #3
Actually, the trill and mordent at least are directly available in plain NWC 2.5, per the example in the link I posted - no outside font required!  I'm not sure of the status of arpeggio and tremolo, with regard to needing an outside font or not.

Reply #4
Actually, the trill and mordent at least are directly available in plain NWC 2.5
NWC 2.5 is not yet in general release. I find it best not to disuss such things in the General Discussion board since these features may not appear in the released product. In any case, if one needs several ornaments, they are best drawn from a font or font suite that contains them all. This keeps their styles consistent.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
I concur with Rick, and add that since Stephen is asking a beginner's question, it's best not to dump too much information on him....especially when that information is about a beta version of the program. He may join us in the virtuoso ranks someday, but he's not there yet.

Reply #6
Sorry guys.  It was my understanding that NWC 2.5 was available to any authenticated NWC 2.X user at this point, as a download from the backstage area of the forum.  I also thought that using a built-in/native NWC font was easier than finding/downloading/installing a non-NWC font.  I further thought dumping an NWC post on him was better than sending him off to figure out another web site.  But I was apparently wrong about all this!  My bad.