Skip to main content
Topic: Two sets of chords in a score? (Read 2884 times) previous topic - next topic

Two sets of chords in a score?

Can I add two sets of chords to music that I create? I normally have melody and accompaniment chords when I play.

I can do this on the software I am currently using, but the chord text attributes and positioning do not remain after I save the file.

I am looking for something that will keep things where I put them.

Here is an example of what I want to be able to do.

I can not post a link to the image but it is at photo bucket

i61 dot photobucket dot com  slash albums  slash h61  slash thafrogggg  slash Sample dot jpg

Re: Two sets of chords in a score?

Reply #1
Hi welcome,

There are a number of ways that you can do what you want to do with NoteWorthy composer.

The one line melody - no problem (as you would expect)
The lyrics, no problem - you can insert 8 lines of lyrics by default.
The chord symbols - there are two ways of achieving what you want to do.

1 by inserting text and positioning each chord symbol to the next note. If you use this method, you can position the text vertically, where you want it. You can also use a small font for the one line of chords and a larger font for the accompaniment chords.

2. By adding a layer with duplicate muted notes. You can then use a second set of lyrics to hold the chord names rather than normal lyrics. For this second set of chord lyrics, you can then position the lyrics above the staff.  Using lyrics for chords will automatically position the chords to the notes according to the rules for lyric placement.  This method is more advanced but can be achieved without too much difficulty.

In all cases, the positions of the chords would be maintained after saving.

Edit - added example ....
Attached is an example of the first two bars of your song using NoteWorthy Composer. This was done using the first method above.
Rich.

Reply #2
One more question,  Will both sets of chords automatically transpose if I use the transpose feature of noteworthy to change the key of the score?

Reply #3
No, but there is a user tool for transposing chords that should work ok.
(I only say "should work" since I have not used it)

R
Rich.