Skip to main content
Topic: Chord with note and rest of same duration? (Read 7259 times) previous topic - next topic

Chord with note and rest of same duration?

Why can't I construct a chord with a note and a rest of the same duration? The help file just says that the rest MUST be a smaller duration than the note.
Is there a workaround for this?
I have a song in a music book with several chords composed of a quarter note and a quarter rest.
Thanks,
Gordon

Re: Chord with note and rest of same duration?

Reply #1
Yes, it's a bit of a nuisance, and yes, there's a workaround for it.

Click File --> Page Setup --> Fonts. Select "User 1" and click Modify. Select NWCV15 (NWC installed this when you set it up) and click OK.

You can now insert anything in the NWC master font into your score as text. Press X (or Insert --> Text), and select the User 1 font. If I remember correctly, the rests are all in the range of n, o, p, q (lower case).

You'll probably want to turn "preserve width" off so that the rest falls directly under (or over, depending on your selected staff setting) the note it's associated with.

Reply #2
FWIW: I can't say how much I am beginning to hate using NWCV15.TTF as a text font! The font size is so small, and spaces are hard to come by...

Eric, if you add things to the font (and thus create an NWCV16) please scale the font up in size so it's a bit easier to place.

A

Reply #3
We have no plans to change the scaling of the font. The fact is that the scaling is necessary, as the larget font characters (clefs) necessitate the disparity in size between the largest and smallest character. We have chosen other settings over time to work around buggy display drivers that take issue with this kind of font, and do not plan on messing with it (for fear of breaking some earlier work arounds).

Reply #4
Okay, then I'd like to suggest a souped-up boxmarks.ttf (with everything we need, including full notes with tails in both directions) be shipped with NWC.

A