Skip to main content
Topic: Writing a music book... (Read 5143 times) previous topic - next topic

Writing a music book...

Hey all,

I'm planning on using NWC2 (which I already have a copy of) to create short phrases (often a single bar, or a couple of bars) between sections of text.

I had a couple of questions about a few things:

I know NWC2 doesn't yet have native support for odd subdivisions.  I'm aware that you can work around this with a tempo change and creating text, invisible time signatures, etc. for visual and playback purposes, which I'm not worried about.  My main concern is getting note spacing consistent as I intend to mix subdivisions, and I would prefer to have spacing for 16th quintuplets at least a slight bit smaller than 16th notes.  I'm not concerned about playback as I 'know' how what I'm writing sounds, so I'm only concerned with visual appearance.

I was planning on using CutePDF to 'print' to PDF format from which I can copy and paste bars from, a little bit fiddly but obviously I can't use NWC as a word processor!

I was also wondering if anyone else had used NWC in this purpose before and could offer any tips from experience?

Re: Writing a music book...

Reply #1
I would prefer to have spacing for 16th quintuplets at least a slight bit smaller than 16th notes.  I'm not concerned about playback
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Text|Text:" "|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:9|Wide:Y|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Text|Text:" "|Font:PageSmallText|Pos:9|Wide:Y|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Text|Text:"5"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:9|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam
|Note|Dur:16th|Pos:-3|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
Haha, I suppose I should read the help file to work out exactly where I should be entering all that information :)

Thanks though, much appreciated!

Reply #3
Just copy everything in the blue quote box and paste it into a staff.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Thanks, my dad let me know about that too.

Reply #5
...and I have a hunch we all know who your dad is....;-)

Reply #6
I had a feeling that I wouldn't even need to make mention of it :)

I also had another question - has anyone created a 'fixed width' font for NWC?  Ie. If I want to write a piece which has all the different note values evenly and relatively spaced, is there a means of doing this apart from using text to increase the spacing between notes?

It's not biggie, I just figured if there was a simpler, less messy means for achieving this then it would be a bit better visually, most likely.  For an educational resource, in any case.

Reply #7
G'day mate :)
Go to |File|Page Setup|Options (tab) and find the checkbox for "Increase spacing for longer notes" and uncheck it.

This should give you the result you're looking for.  You may need to start forcing system breaks in order to reduce the number of bars on a staff and get the spacing you want.

A little experimentation will won't hurt.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
Hmm, I've tried playing with it a couple of times but I think because of the things I'm doing at the moment it's not making a noticeable difference.

I think once I start mixing a few more subdivisions it might make a difference.