Skip to main content
Topic: Transpositions and Piano Control (Read 4106 times) previous topic - next topic

Transpositions and Piano Control

When striking the notes by clicking piano control, "the note pitch for insert" appears to be false.
The clicking sound and the playback sounds different.

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:1
|Bar
|Clef|Type:Treble|OctaveShift:Octave Up
|Bar
|Clef|Type:Treble|OctaveShift:Octave Down
|Bar
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Instrument|Name:"[+12]"|Trans:12|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:8|Wide:Y
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

On bar 1 - 3, the representation of the piano control is normal, but on bar 4, it's not.
If the transposition is modulated in "Properties in Staff", the result is same.
NWC User since 2008

Re: Transpositions and Piano Control

Reply #1
Umm, it looks right to me...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I see what Sesirine is getting at.

The issue appears to be that if on the staff you use an octave shift on the clef then the dot on the piano bar that represents the position of the note that will be entered has been altered to take account of the clef marking.

If however you use a transposition  using instrument properties, then the dot does not reflect this transposition and will sound on entry as though there is no instrument transposition. (Assuming you have play notes on entry switched on).

Of course, when you play back the entered note, it then sounds at the proper range.

A future update perhaps ?

Rich.

Reply #3
When I click Middle C on the pianobar, I expect to hear Middle C. IMO, it would not be a feature to hear something else. If instead of a keyboard, NWC offered a guitar fretboard which supported a capo, I might expect to hear the effect of the capo.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
When I click Middle C on the pianobar, I expect to hear Middle C.

Agreed, but I'm not sure that we are talking the same thing.

The dot on the keypad represents the insertion point on the staff. When you have an octave shift on the clef sign, the dot is repositioned accordingly. If
however, rather than an octave shift on the clef, you have +12 transposition on the instrument, then positional dot does not reflect this. Effectively, in this instance, the dot marking the insertion point is an octave out on the keyboard.

HOWEVER !!!!

I have remembered the answer to this. Eric already accounted for this problem when somone else reported this as a transposing issue.
If you have Tools/Options/Editor/Ignore Transpose on Midi In unchecked   then this corrects the issue that I believe Sesirine is talking about.

I think Sesirine must have this checked (as I originally did - and I suspect Lawrie didn't)

Rich.

Reply #5
Uh, I've checked now...
At first, I didn't know what "Ignore Transpose Midi In" meant...

Thanks, ev'rybody, and especially to Rich.
NWC User since 2008