Skip to main content
Topic: Cannot connect keyboard to NWC? (Read 5280 times) previous topic - next topic

Cannot connect keyboard to NWC?

I recently bought a MIDI-USB cable, and I connected it to my keyboard and computer through the proper ports. I have activated "USB Audio Device" via the MIDI Imput Active command. I have searched the NWC user manual and my USB-MIDI cable manual and cannot seem to figure out how to make Noteworthy write down the notes played on the keyboard. The record button does nothing, and if I go to Tools>Options>Midi and move USB Audio Device into the devices used to playback, when I click OK a message pops up saying: "The following play devices failed to open properly: USB Audio Device. This problem must be corrected before proceeding."

How do I make it so NWC will display the notes I play on my keyboard?

I'm using NWC2 and WinXP

Re: Cannot connect keyboard to NWC?

Reply #1
if I go to Tools>Options>Midi and move USB Audio Device into the devices used to playback, when I click OK a message pops up saying: "The following play devices failed to open properly: USB Audio Device. This problem must be corrected before proceeding."

This error means that the USB MIDI device is most likely not working correctly. For USB devices, the first step in sorting these kind of issues is generally to unplug the device, then replug it. If that does not help, then you need to dig further into why the device is not working correctly. For example, you need to confirm that you have the correct Windows XP device driver for your USB device. It also often helps to check with the USB device manufacturer's web site for updated drivers.

If you search this forum for USB+MIDI keyboard, you can review other topics from users that have experienced similar issues in setting up their USB MIDI device.

Re: Cannot connect keyboard to NWC?

Reply #2
When you say a "MIDI to USB cable" do you mean a MIDI-USB interface with some sort of box between the MIDI and USB ends or is this some sort of adapter cable that simply has a USB plug at the computer end and 2 MIDI plugs, MIDI-IN and MIDI-OUT at the other, or is it a generic USB A-B cable?  If it is an interface, there should be an installation CD with drivers that must be installed for the interface to connect your kbd and computer.  Likewise, if your kbd has a USB port and you are using a generic USB A-B cable, the kbd has drivers of its own that must be installed to connect with a computer.  In this case, go to the kbd manufacturer's web site and find drivers and a manual to download.  If you have some sort of adapter cable MIDI-IN/OUT - USB, it's anyone's guess.