Skip to main content
Topic: Optional Text Expression Overlays Tempo on Preview (Read 3026 times) previous topic - next topic

Optional Text Expression Overlays Tempo on Preview

Good day, Everyone,

Just completed coding a Purcell choral number, and hoped to add this comment to the tempo:

"Rather slowly; with power and dignity"

Unfortunately, the "(quarter note)=90" overlays the last two characters of the comment on the "Print Preview". 

Looks fine while editing and on the printed output; it just overlays on the Preview.  Could be confusing for newbies.

Re: Optional Text Expression Overlays Tempo on Preview

Reply #1
Hard to be certain of what you are describing, but Print Preview of this:
Quote from: Paste as New File
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Tempo|Tempo:90|Text:"Rather slowly; with power and dignity"|Pos:13
|Key|Signature:F#
|TimeSig|Signature:Common
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|Bar
|Bar
|Bar
|Tempo|Tempo:90|Text:"x"|Pos:13
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
at low magnification shows considerably more mis-registration of the quarter note in the first tempo than the second.

NoteWorthy has to use 2 fonts for this. Staff Bold for everything but the note (and perhaps the dot). Looks to me as if it leaves a hole for the note, calculates where it should go and puts it in after. At low resolutions, this can introduce some rounding error, especially if 'Optional Text Expresson:' contains many characters.

If I change Staff Bold to 'Lucida Console', it looks very bad.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
With regard to small details, one should never believe that what they see right away in the print preview is what will come out in the printout.  I've found that if you click 3 times in succession on an area to get to maximum zoom, details can change slightly with each click, but the last click seems to be quite true to what will print out.

Reply #3
This topic has come up before. See the discussion here. Basically, the problem lies in the way Windows displays fonts at different levels of magnification, so it's beyond the control of NWC.

HTH -

Bill