Skip to main content
Topic: What is the best way to convert a .nwc file to a ps file? (Read 6348 times) previous topic - next topic

What is the best way to convert a .nwc file to a ps file?

Hullo. I am looking for the best way of converting an nwc file to a ps file, or any other file that will simply & easily fit into a LaTeX document. At present I cannot even convert the nwc file into a emf file that looks good in Open Office [I use Ubuntu, btw].

Re: What is the best way to convert a .nwc file to a ps file?

Reply #1
Hello,

I assume that you want to combine NWC notation with other material using a text editor. Under Ubuntu/WINE you can print your notation directly to a pdf file, if cups-pdf is installed. The pdf can then be further processed (cropped etc.) as an image before pasting into a text document. This gives very good control, but the process is lengthy.

I wish somebody would come up with a more straight-forward method, requiring less saving in different formats.

-Christian
NWC on Ubuntu Linux/Wine

Reply #2
 I don't use Ubuntu or LaTeX, but I did have occasion to want a single document that had several different NWC songs (10 of them) combined with text in between.  I found it easiest to use Microsoft Word for the document.  For each song, I just pulled it up in NWC, generated a print preview, and then copied to clipboard.  Then I just pasted it into Word, and used Word's internal picture cropping to shrink the bottom margin (and cut off empty space).  With all text and songs in place, I just printed to a PDF file (using PDFCreator) directly from Word.  I recommend PDFCreator highly, but make sure to get no higher than version 0.9.6 (they apparently became a little too intrusive in higher versions).  HTH

Reply #3
To get a PS file the easiest way is to install a fake PS printer.

You can get the one you prefer in the list of the standard printers known to Windows (e.g. HP Color Laserjet 8500 PS).

I strongly suggest to install the printer as connected to the "FILE" port.
This way you don't have to remember to check the box "print on file" each time and you don't risk printing a long PS listing on your real printer.

Of course, at this point you simply "print" from NWC on this printer.

OTH.

Reply #4
It seems that the emf file produced under Ubuntu/Wine by copying NWC's preview can be opened and resized by OpenOffice applications.

-Christian
NWC on Ubuntu Linux/Wine

Reply #5
My method
is to create *. PDF (I do not use *.ps):
In MS XP, print directly out of NWC to the pdf995 printer.
Combine parts into multi-page *.PDF using PDFEdit
adding an index, using MS WORD or MS EXCEL as the first page.

Reply #6
PDFEdit is also available for Ubuntu/Linux. I will try this method. Thanks for pointing out this!

Christian
NWC on Ubuntu Linux/Wine

Reply #7
To get a PS file the easiest way is to install a fake PS printer.
I agree. An added bonus is that you can configure it for arbitrary page sizes and dpi's. NWC will respect these setting when generating EMF files.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #8
Can I take this opportunity to do an initial advert for my heavily updated Noteworthy to LilyPond converter?  (I will be posting a separate announcement, but trust this won't count as spamming).  It should allow you to create both PDF and PS files automatically, providing you have downloaded and installed LilyPond.  It presupposes you're running Windows.

It's detailed at http://www.holmessoft.co.uk/homepage/software/nwc2ly/.