Skip to main content
Topic: File Open - Read Only (Read 7320 times) previous topic - next topic

File Open - Read Only

I would suggest that the 'Open as read-only' checkbox be enabled in the FileOpenDialogs and it be checked by default for File->Open Samples ...

A common operation in NWC is to open a score and extract parts, sometimes to separate files, but often just to print them. On several occasions, I have inadvertently changed my score file, usually by clicking on the 'Save All' button or not paying attention during shut down.

I have also unwittingly changed a sample file or two.
I have removed 'File Save All' from my Toolbars, but still have problems.

I have no strong opinions on how NWC handles situations where the user trys to save a file opened as ReadOnly, except that NWC should not allow it to be saved without renaming.
Registered user since 1996

Re: File Open - Read Only

Reply #1
Probably a good idea. But you can solve the inadvertent-save-while-extracting-parts problem by doing a "save as..." as soon as you pull up the score and then working from the saved copy. I learned to do that the hard way. You can always delete the extra copy later.

I usually save parts as I create them - saves time if you need more of the same part some time down the line. So I simply do the "save as" to the part name. Then any further saves go where you want them instead of screwing up the score.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #2
Looks like you've gone to a bit of trouble to solve your version of the same problem, as have I. I was just suggesting a possible solution.

Reply #3
Internally, we have experimented with using this option to basically open the file as if it was started from a File, New operation (treating the file like a template). The problem was that it never really reflected a true "read only" status, and it was never clear that a true "read only" status would actually be desirable anyway. I will revisit this.

Reply #4
This discussion gave me the simple but effective idea (albeit in its limited scope) of setting "read only" the files in the "samples" directory...

I feel stupid not having done it already.
Very often I need to open Drumref.nwc and it's very easy to alter it by mistake.

Reply #5
Thanks for looking at it. I would think that NWC2 needs to allow modifications to any file opened, but Save operations (on files opened readonly) should be converted to SaveAs. Of course, once you submit it to Windows, Windows is going to whatever it does. But at least you will have tried.

You might think about not encouraging any modifications to the sample folder by never defaulting a Save, SaveAs, or Export... operation to the sample folder. Instead, default them to the same folder as you would use for File->New.

Reply #6
This discussion gave me the simple but effective idea (albeit in its limited scope) of setting "read only" the files in the "samples" directory...
The problem with that is that readonly files may interfere with NWC's installers trying to update the sample files. Also, readonly files are not moved during defragging.

Reply #7
may interfere with NWC's installers trying to update the sample files

Not a good thing now that there is much work with the betas.
But I don't think the sample files changed much recently. Did they?
So why to replace them?

readonly files are not moved during defragging.

I was thinking only the hidden/system ones were left untouched.

Reply #8
The NWC2 installer makes no attempt to replace existing sample files. This protects against the possibility that the file is actually one created/edited by the user.

Not really my area, but I believe that there is a difference between immovable and read-only files. A defrag utility certainly could elect to leave read-only files untouched, even if they are movable.

Reply #10
Thanks. Looks like a bit of "saving grace".