Skip to main content
Topic: Note stops playing (Read 2827 times) previous topic - next topic

Note stops playing

Hello,

I was rehearsing the tenor part of "St John's Passion", when in bar 84 of "01-Lord.nwc", all of a sudden the tenor voice stops!
It's on the Scrypto, here: http://nwc-scriptorium.org/db/bach/jsb_stjohn.zip

There is no channel conflict; muting one or more of the instruments brings back the tenor-sound, but what is going on?
Or could it be just this computer (haven't tried to emulate the problem on another computer, yet?)

cheers,
Rob.

Re: Note stops playing

Reply #1
The "1st violins" and "Oboes" both switch to ensemble instruments at that point, which can be much more demanding on a synth. I would guess either that your play back synth runs out of simultaneous voices at that spot, or has some issue with the instrument changes.

Reply #2
Hi Rob,

Well, I think it goes very quiet.  I think that the fact that the part volume is only at 64 in combination with the mp in the middle of measure 83 kills the sound off for that particular instrument.

If you boost the part volume up to 127 (Properties for the tenor line then the midi tab), then I think you will hear all of the line. This would be better for rehearsing the tenor part anyway since it would boost the tenor line above the remaining parts.

(Edit - just read Eric's post - Didn't notice that and I guess that my machine does not have an issue with that.  Much more likely than my guess above - but I still think the tenor volume should be upped for rehearsing the part)
Rich.

Reply #3
Hi Rich,

Boosting it up to 127 does not remedy the situation. My "PrepareForChoir" macro does that for me, so what I heard was the tied note which disappeared all of a sudden! I think that Eric is right. If I switch of either 1st Violins or Oboes, all is well.

It's not really a problem, either... I was just curious. I can still use Noteworthy and this piece for rehearsing purposes.
cheers,
Rob.

Reply #4
   Hi, Rob.

The File you're looking at being one of mine, I'm saddened you didn't ask me ... though in fact in this case I cannot really help, but like Eric I suspect it's a problem with your playback synth.  I say this because on my machine the File plays perfectly OK.  I can hear it anyway, as written, but as a check I inserted a pp at the beginning of Bar 83 in all tracks except the Tenor, removed all the other dynamics in bars 83 and 84 except for the ff at the start of Tenor 83, and ... it played fine, the Tenor line sounding out OK.

Still, as you say:-

"It's not really a problem, either... I was just curious. I can still use Noteworthy and this piece for rehearsing purposes." 

So all is well-ish - rather like with the Christmas Oratorio, in fact (I would nevertheless appreciate your help with that, if you could spare the time!).

And don't forget that these Files, and many others, are freely downloadable from my Website - http://www.thehoopers.demon.co.uk - as Midi Files in ready-emphasised form.

MusicJohn, 2/Feb/10