Skip to main content
Topic: Graduated beaming (Read 3739 times) previous topic - next topic

Graduated beaming

Is there a way in NWC2 to create 'graduated' beaming for a group of notes to represent an accelerando or decelerando? I am sorry if there is a more specific term for this that I don't know! The effect is to start with a quaver for example and for the beaming to open up in a wedge to end up as demisemiquavers. The effect is seen in Vier Solostudien for oboe by Iwan Iwanow.

Re: Graduated beaming

Reply #1
I don't think so - but can you post a picture of the music ? Do you have a scanner?
There may be work rounds that can be employed - but I have to confess that I'm not that sure what you mean.
Rich.

Reply #3
That's what I meant!

Reply #4
Well I don't think so - but if anyone can do a work around, its Rick (who posted the picture).
I am constantly surprised at the NoteWorthy magic that Rick weaves.  But it can't be done as a default function in NoteWorthy.
Rich.

Reply #5
Easy enough to do with layers, actually. I've attached an example. Uncheck view/allow layering to see how it's done. The slanted beams are made by changing the stem length of the last note in the group - that function is found on the notes tab of the notation properties dialog box (select the last note and press alt/enter).

HTH -

Bill

Reply #7
Bill,  I like it - well done.
I considered all sorts of things - but not that.
But I don't think it's something I'll ever use.
Rich.

Reply #8
Thanks for the help - that will do nicely. The Iwanow study also contains lots of single and double harmonics but without the base note which I need to remind me which note to finger. I need to copy it out adding the base notes so that I have half a chance of playing it!