Skip to main content
Topic: 2nd verse lyric to 2nd ending (Read 8066 times) previous topic - next topic

2nd verse lyric to 2nd ending

I have a simple repeat with 1st and 2nd ending.  How do I get the lyric of the second verse to the second ending instead of continuing under the 1st ending lyric? 
Jim in Cleveland

Re: 2nd verse lyric to 2nd ending

Reply #1
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.0)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Section Close|Visible:Y|BoundaryTop:12|BoundaryBottom:20|Lines:5|Style:Standard|Layer:N|Color:Default
|Lyrics|Placement:Bottom|Align:Standard Rules|Offset:0
|Lyric1|Text:"C D E F\r\nG A B C\r\nC D E F\r\nG A B C\r\nC B A G\r\nF E D C\r\n"
|Lyric2|Text:"_ _ _ _\r\n_ _ _ _\r\nC D E F\r\nG A B C\r\n_ _ _ _\r\n_ _ _ _\r\nC D E F\r\nG A B C\r\n"

|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:Common
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-6
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-5
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-4
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-3
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-2
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:-1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:1
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatOpen
|Bar
|Bar
|Ending|Endings:1
|Bar
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose
|Ending|Endings:2
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposer-End

Maybe the highlighted example help you.
You can insert "_" (Underscore) as space.

<Image Link>

Like this, perhaps?
NWC User since 2008

Reply #2
G'day Jim,
Sesirine's answer is exactly correct.

To expand a little, in the lyric editor the underscore character "_" behaves as a space that takes the place of a syllable.  It is possible to override this but that is not usually productive.

Another special purpose character is the hyphen "-".  This allow you to break a word into syllables so that they it(they) will take up multiple notes.

E.G. "hurry" would only use up one note, but it is clearly 2 syllables when you say it.  By writing it as "hur-ry" in the lyric editor it will now take 2 notes and not seem to be 2 separate words.  "hur" and "ry" would also work, but without the hyphen they would seem to be separate words.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Thanks.  But I have the underscore set to visibile because there are rhythm variations between the verses (repeated notes with different number of syllables).   Already searched messages and found "God Save the Queen" reference and looked at the example.

Not a big deal, but this is for printout and I would prefer to have no visible characters on the second line under the first ending lyric.

Arrangement of Schubert Ave Maria in F for my ma.  Already had the same source for organ solo arrangement.  Uses single notes for the triplet motive and renders better on the organ as legato instead of the classic double notes in portato style.

I'm considering posting to the Scriptorium.  I have been playing with sound fonts using SynthFont.  Between Jeux and Stephen's Cathedral, I've been having a ball without the SB card.  I have the new Bose LinkSys and broadcast wirelessly from my laptop.

Hog heaven for an organ/computer geek. 
Jim in Cleveland

Reply #4
G'day Jim,
But I have the underscore set to visibile because there are rhythm variations between the verses (repeated notes with different number of syllables).
Umm, I'm not really sure why you would want this...  However, if you really want a visible line why not use a hyphen so the underscore can remain invisible?

Alternatively, you might try a "no break" space <Alt - 0160> or perhaps <Alt - 0255> in lieu of a hidden underscore.  The first doesn't work in any of my *Dings text fonts as I've used the character BUT the latter will.  And should in most, if not all, text fonts.  The downside is that you can't see them in the lyric editor - they have no visible place holder.

Reply #5
Thanks!  Will give non-printing characters a try. 

(Never could memorize all those ASCII codes.  )
Jim in Cleveland

Reply #7
(Never could memorize all those ASCII codes.  ☺)

ANSI codes...

Reply #8
G'day Flurmy,
in this case (extended) ASCII is correct as it isn't an escape sequence for a terminal emulation...  Rather it is a character table code.

Reply #9
it isn't an escape sequence for a terminal emulation

No, indeed, but I didn't mean the ANSI control sequences.

The ASCII codes officially are only in the 7 bit range (0..127).
Often the "extended" ASCII is used, but that's what the DOS (and windows) call OEM code page and it's a mess.
The ANSI codepage is/was a windows tentative standard... that's a mess.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_page

So: if you type <alt 0xxx> on the numeric keypad then you're asking windows for the "ANSI" char; if you type <alt xxx> then you're asking windows for the "OEM" char.

Having said so, please forgive me for that discussion "about goat's whool", as we say in Italy.

Reply #10
Thanks for the defense, Lawrie.  My day job is as a System Analyst and database programmer, so I do know the difference between American National Standards Institute and American Standard Code for Information Interchange.  Been working with ANSI X12 EDI support for many years.

Richard, I have a question about submitting as MIDI.  I have a standard MIDI file (with standard MIDI voices).  But I rendered the Jeux soundfont version into MP3 using SynthFont and preset aliases for stop changes.   Would that be acceptable?  I think I could edit the voicing track with yhe appropriate preset instrument values, but don't know if that would be enough to play correctly on someone's SB card.

I have an old MIDI conversion program called MIDIGlass that converts between MIDI and text for editing, but haven't used it for years.  I was trying to generate sheet music from a George Winston recording.  Ripped the CD, converted wave to MIDI and brought that into NWC.  Didn't really work very well.  I had even written a little "c" program to round out the spurious tied 64th notes in the MIDI events, but finally gave up.  Mr. Winston does not publish or even write his arrangements down at all and I really wanted to try and play some of his December album stuff on the piano myself.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim in Cleveland

Reply #11
Goat's Whool. indeed.  I agree, the whole terminoly terminology/acronym octal/hex/text representation process is messy.  And, ultimately, only the techie geeks even care.  (Spoken as a techie geek)

And all to keep the last syllable of Ma-ri-a from printing in the "perceived" (by me) wrong spot on a piece of paper and not confuse my mother.  Ah, well.

I've been having fun, and that's what's important.  And being able to ask others for ideas in this forum is very helpful.

Jim
Jim in Cleveland

Reply #12
Jim,
MIDIGlass seems interesting for me.

I have something similar but not exactly what I want, so I would like to give it a try.
I saw it's freeware.

The problem is that all the references I found in internet point to a site that disappeared.
Could you send me a copy of it (the program, not the site ;-)?

Maurizio

Reply #13
Richard, I have a question about submitting as MIDI.  I have a standard MIDI file (with standard MIDI voices).  But I rendered the Jeux soundfont version into MP3 using SynthFont and preset aliases for stop changes.   Would that be acceptable? 

I'm really sorry Jim, but the Scriptorium only hosts files in NWC format. It was begun for NoteWorthy files and other types go not get a look in.

I have to admit that there are 3 midi files on there - but that was an exception for all sorts of reasons, but mainly because the 3 midi files were a collaboration of many NoteWorthy users, the three files being generated from all of the NoteWorthy Messiah project files.
Rich.

Reply #14
Sorry I've been MIA.  Work and cancelling my credit card.  Seems someone may have "sniffed" into my wireless network and started using my account number.  What a PITA right before Christmas.

Will get Ave Maria ready to post over the weekend.

Jim
Jim in Cleveland