Skip to main content
Topic: Composing & Orchestration Tutorials? (Read 4048 times) previous topic - next topic

Composing & Orchestration Tutorials?

Does anyone know of any web sites which have tutorials for composing music and/or orchestration. Alternatively, would anyone recommend any books on these subjects. Thanks

Re: Composing & Orchestration Tutorials?

Reply #3
And for other languages (dutch, deutsch, français, español...), any clue ?

Reply #4
Maybe we could discuss a few specific examples here,
that might be generally useful.

For example, I recently posted a concert band arrangement
of a Brahms piece to the newsgroup. While I am NOT the
arranger, I have a very strong interest in the piece.

Perhaps as a way of starting the conversation, consider
the two-bar Oboe solo just prior to letter "A". The
arranger (Guy Hutchins) suggested that the solo would sound
very nice on the Soprano Sax. As an alternative, he
suggested doubling the oboe with the Bassoon, in octave.

Am I totally off-base in suggesting this discussion?

Kenny G.

Reply #5
"Am I totally off-base in suggesting this discussion?"

No, I don't think so. As to your question... chee, I don't know. I'd suggest trying it out. Sometimes it helps to selectively mute certain instruments to see how the doubled instruments interact with each other, then strike up the whole band to see (or rather hear) if anything "sticks out."

As an example, I composed a little piece to augment one of Fernando Sor's guitar studies. The first thought was to have flute carry the lead, and clarinet do the harmony. It just didn't work - even with volume settings adjusted accordingly, the clarinet still overpowered the flute by its reedy timbre.

I settled on two flutes, cello and bass doubled (this one worked well), and of course the guitar part.

For fun I did a string arrangement also (two violins, cello and guitar). The two different arrangements are attached. Same notes, but a very different overall sound. If anyone's interested, let me know and I'll e-mail them to you.

Isn't midi a hoot?

Reply #6
Of course, the files mentioned in my last message aren't attached. Must be bedtime.

E-mail me if you want to hear these.