Skip to main content
Topic: Brackets/Braces for Double Choir Music (Read 3029 times) previous topic - next topic

Brackets/Braces for Double Choir Music

What is the best way to group 8-part, double choir music into two groups of 4 staves each?  Using the orchestral type bracket groups all 8 staves together in one group.  Upper/lower grand staff won't work because the bar lines continue through the lyrics.  Thanks.

Re: Brackets/Braces for Double Choir Music

Reply #1
You can still use braces, just marry them up with layered staves and "open" ending barlines.  Check out the attachment, first with layering enables and then again with it off so you can see what I've done.

The very outside staves - 1 and 6 and 7 and 12 - do not get any barlines or other objects inserted - their whole function is to provide the braces.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Two more layered staves - one at the very top and one at the very bottom - can give you an orchestral bracket around the whole score without barlines marring the lyrics. Do them exactly like Lawrie's upper and lower grand staves, but make them orchestral staves instead of grand staves. Unfortunately, there is currently no way to bracket a partial system, so you can't place a bracket around each choir and connect them with a single line down the right margin of the score, as you usually see in printed music; fortunately, braces and the brackets can coexist, so bracing in groups of four staves, as Lawrie has done, can be combined with brackets to give you approximately the same effect.

Reply #3
I'll need to study it a little more and test the suggestions, but I think I've got it.  Thank you both for your helpful posts.