Skip to main content
Topic: Abnormal Key Signature (Midi Import) (Read 6278 times) previous topic - next topic

Abnormal Key Signature (Midi Import)

A few days ago I made a composition, which is "F sharp major".
So...

<Image Link>

And (after midi export) Importing midi... There says:

<Image Link>

So, what I want to ask you is, why does it happen? (So NWPlayer does.)
To understand what I mean, I'll attach the file. <Click Here>

TIA. Sesirine.
NWC User since 2008

Re: Abnormal Key Signature (Midi Import)

Reply #1
It didn't just change the key sig, in Seserine's piece, it moved the top voice up an octave. That seems odder to me than converting a sharp signature into the equivalent flat sig (although expressing all those Fnats as Gbb's really is a little strange, as Fnat is part of the key of Gb)

Converting MIDI to notation is an inexact art, but it seems as though it could be better than this....

Reply #2
It didn't just change the key sig, in Seserine's piece, it moved the top voice up an octave.
I suspect a transposition of +12 in the Instrument object.

IIRC, there was a time when NoteWorthy did not support 6-7 sharps in KeySig. I think support was added when User Defined KeySigs were added.

While there are many improvements that could be made to MIDI import, making life easier for those who write in extreme Key Signatures would not be high on my list. IMO, a bit of extra grief is simple justice.

Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
It doesn't support 7 flats, either.
NWC User since 2008

Reply #4
While there are many improvements that could be made to MIDI import, making life easier for those who write in extreme Key Signatures would not be high on my list. IMO, a bit of extra grief is simple justice.

Spoken like a true pianist....but I agree. However, the real issue here isn't lack of support for extreme key sigs, it's accurate MIDI import. And octave transpositions and rendering F's as Gbb's doesn't rank as accurate in my book - no matter what the key signature is.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #5
the real issue here [...] accurate MIDI import. And octave transpositions and rendering F's as Gbb's doesn't rank as accurate in my book - no matter what the key signature is.
I don't believe there are any octave transposition bugs (see attachment).

The problem with computers is that they do what you tell them to do, rather than what you want them to do.

Reply #6
The problem with computers is that they do what you tell them to do, rather than what you want them to do.

Sure? My problem is the exact opposite since win '95!
Or better: (since win '95) they do what they suppose you're wanting to do!
For example, drag&drop a file from a place to another and you get a move if it's on the same drive, a copy if it's not...

I just bought a new MB (the old one, vintage '2005, R.I.P. Please note that my "old faithful" 486, vintage '92, keeps working perfectly) and I had problems with a missing driver. I launched the CD coming with the MB and browsed the menu: nothing useful, so I closed the menu, nothing else. Surprise: now the driver is present!

And so on.

Sorry for the off-topic, but you touched an open nerve these days.
I spent a week to reconfigure the computer as I want, not as someone else decided I'd want...

Reply #7
(since win '95) they do what they suppose you're wanting to do!
At worse, they do what they suppose you are telling it to do. AI has not risen to the level of reading minds.

Tip: If you ever make it to WinXP, you will want to turn Automatic Updates off. Otherwise M$ will constantly reconfigure your machine the way it wants to :) Here's a sample: https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=3741.msg46412#msg46412

Reply #8
If you ever make it to WinXP

Doing it right now (I had to).
Thank you for the tip.