Skip to main content
Topic: Help File Error (Read 8893 times) previous topic - next topic

Help File Error

Performance Style Command says:
  • Legato: This style causes all note events to be played to their fullest duration, as if all notes that follow the instruction were slurred to the following note.
  • Staccato: This style causes all the notes that follow it to be played with a more staccato feel than normal.

All other styles currently change the style back to the default play back handling.

This should be added:
  • Tenuto: This style causes all note events to be played to their fullest duration, as if all notes that follow the instruction were slurred to the following note.

I know that there are more errors in the help files, but this one could result in much confusion for someone trying to cancel a Legato with a Tenuto.

Registered user since 1996

Re: Help File Error

Reply #1
Old thread, but I just ran into this, as I tried to cancel a Legato with a Tenuto, and it didn't work. The HELP should say Legato and Tenuto are both rendered the same. Also, is there a name for the "normal" style? What is the appropriate style to cancel Legato, Tenato, or Staccato? I know any other one would do it, but which one would make the most sense to a reader?

Reply #3
volta subito ?

Reply #4
After all my years in music, I can't say that I remember seeing a common way of canceling performances styles!  I like Rick's "semplice", which means "simple" or "plain".  Here are some other possibilities, in no particular order (substitute legato with the performace style being canceled):
  • senzo legato - without legato
  • meno legato - less legato
  • rigoroso - strict
  • non legato - not legato
  • niente - nothing
  • guisto - proper or exact

The only other "canceling" terms I could find were "a tempo" to cancel an accelerando or ritardando, and "loco" to cancel an 8va or 8vb.

Reply #5
I can't believe I stumped the experts. Thanks for the suggestions. I was using Stacatto in a layered staff, where one staff used the staccato dot but the dot for the other note collided with the firts one. I'm using a hidden Stacatto (and Semplice, per Rick). Since they are hidden, it doesn't really matter what the second one is, but I wanted something someone looking at it would understand. I may use the same technique with Legato instead of slurs on some layers where the multiple layered slurs don't look good.

Reply #6
You may not find this trick useful, but I have had occasion to use "Articulations on Stem" for both layered notes, so then adjusting the stem length of one (or both) of them brings the articulations into alignment upon layering.

Reply #7
* guisto - proper or exact

Mistyping. It should have been "Giusto".

senzo legato - without legato

Idem. It should have been "Senza legato".

Stacatto

It is "Staccato", exactly like it's written a few words further.

"Volta subito" verbatim means "turns immediately".
I don't see it fit for the intended use.

I can't say that I remember seeing a common way of canceling performances styles!
The only other "canceling" terms I could find were "a tempo" to cancel an accelerando or ritardando, and "loco" to cancel an 8va or 8vb.

Me too!

Reply #8
Sorry about the typos on "giusto" and "senza" - I wrote them both down from my source correctly, but typed them into my forum post incorrectly - can't read my own handwriting.

Of course, my earlier post became irrelevant, once it was revealed that the canceling term was needed only for NWC playback, and no performer would ever see the term.  In that case, any NWC performance style (other than the ones that affect playback) would be sufficient, since it would be hidden to the performer.

Reply #9
<deleted>