Skip to main content
Topic: Dynamic variance / Graphic crescendo/decrescendo placement - HEEELP!!! (Read 6812 times) previous topic - next topic

Dynamic variance / Graphic crescendo/decrescendo placement - HEEELP!!!

Does anybody in this forum know how to move the graphic crescendo ou decrescendo up or down, so that it would not overwrite the notes, at NWC2?

Re: Dynamic variance / Graphic crescendo/decrescendo placement - HEEELP!!!

Reply #2
Sesirine is not correct.
The position of the hairpins < and >  depend on the position of the previous dynamic marking.
So for example, if you have p < f ,   the <  will be on the same level as the piano sign. if you move the piano sign up, the < will go up too.

If you need the dynamic marking at one level but the hairpin at another level because of other items in the score, remember that you can always use a hidden dynamic marking immediately before the hairpin.

Rich.

Reply #3

Richard is correct.
In my reply, I meant 'without' dynamics.

p.s. I... even didn't know it. Thanks for your information, Rich.
NWC User since 2008

Reply #4
Thanks for the correction Sesirine - I think I really should qualify something that you said in case it confuses new users.

You inferred that you could not move the hairpins without dynamics.

Whilst this is absolutely true, new users should also note that the graphical hairpins (< and > and well as the symbols cresc and decresc) will not be functional without dynamic marks and so if you use these items without having dynamics before and after, you will not hear any change in volume on playback as a result of these symbols.

If you are only interested in printing out a score then this may not matter but if you are producing the score to listen to as well, you need to have the dynamic markings, before and after, for the change in volume to occur.

Just thought it was worth mentioning.
Rich.

Problem was solved!

Reply #5
Thank you so much, Richard. Your directions helped me to solve the problem. And thanks also to Sesirine for having tried to give help.

Reply #6
But you can hide the dynamics if you don't want to show them. They'll still do the job.

Reply #7
Peter,

I did refer to hidden dynamic markings in my original reply - Reply 2. But perhaps it wasn't that clear what I meant.

Rich.

Reply #8
Doesn't Expression Placement move the marking up or down on the staff?  Right-click and click Properties and adjust the value.  IIRC the numerical value moves the vertical placement relative to the current cursor position.

Reply #9
Doesn't Expression Placement move the marking up or down on the staff?  Right-click and click Properties and adjust the value. 

It does on most items, but not on graphical hairpins where you cannot select them in order to get to properties.
You have to select the previous dynamic marking and then you can use the expression placement to adjust the value of that, which will also adjust the value of the hairpin.

Rich.