Skip to main content
Topic: vibrato: how-to (Read 2937 times) previous topic - next topic

vibrato: how-to

How can I put vibrato on a note?  Tried breath controller and others. No luck so far.  Does vibrato work only with certain instruments?  What's the trick?  (I found a couple of entries in this Forum but they seem to be talking about real instruments and the physics theory of how vibrato works; one article talked about how to just slide into vibrato, as if everyone already knows how to create the vibrato to slide into.
I'm only asking about how to make a NWC "instrument" and/or particular notes sound with reasonably convincing vibrato.)

Thanks.

Re: vibrato: how-to

Reply #1
MIDI does not define a vibrato controller. If a patch supports a vibrato effect, it is most likely on the mod wheel. Fx1 and Fx2 would be the next place to look (or rather, listen).
This produces a noticeble effect on my AWE32 soundcard:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Instrument|Name:"Violin"|Patch:40
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0^
|MPC|Controller:mod|Pt1:0,127
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0^
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
If you succeed on your computer, don't assume that it will work on another computer.

In theory, vibrato can be simulated with pitch bends. I would judge this to be impractical with NWC2. There is not sufficient time resolution.

Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
John:

You don't say what sound device you are using.
If your card responds to Channel Aftertouch you may find that that controller will produce vibrato.
But NWC does not provide Channel Aftertouch as an option.
Rick has mentioned Modulation (controller 1) that is the most common method to produce vibrato.

If you use a Creative card some soundfonts have a built -in vibrato.
Here is a link to such a soundfont - the vibrato is subtle but it's there.
http://tinyurl.com/2rq3rh/Chaos8.zip

Barry Graham
Melbourne, Australia

Reply #3
Thank you for these replies. At least I have a couple of possible approaches now, and I see that vibrato is a limitation of MIDI (not just my lack of knowing the noteworthy product).

I believe my PC has a Conexant High Def. sound card, by the way.