Skip to main content
Topic: USB MIDI Converter (Read 24518 times) previous topic - next topic

USB MIDI Converter

Hi.

I have an old synthesizer - Casio (or Casiotone) MT-240. I plug this synthesizer to my pc with USB MIDI Converter, but when I try to write in this way notes on Noteworthy Composer, it doesn't write anything: I click on "Rec", then this icon turns as "fossil" as required , but after 2-3 seconds this icon turns off. What should I do? Thanks.

Re: USB MIDI Converter

Reply #2
Thanks, but regretfully it didn't help. I have just one important note that may be help: The "OUT" light bulb in my USB-MIDI converter doesn't flash when I play the synthesizer, only the "IN" light bulb is flashing.

This note may help you?

Reply #3
A couple of things to check:
  • The correct MIDI "in" device is selected in |Tools|Options|Record (Tab)|Input Device (pull-down)
  • The MIDI "out" cable from the synth is connected to the MIDI "in" port of the USB converter
  • If you have the MIDI "out" of the converter connected to the MIDI "in" of the synth you should be able to select it as your playback device and play a song on your synth - |Tools|Options|MIDI (tab)|Devices used by playback (list) - best to only have one device to avoid confusion.
  • Don't forget to use a click or rhythm track to enable correct time detection for correct note duration.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
>I click on "Rec", then this icon turns as "fossil" as required , but after 2-3 seconds this icon turns off.

Just thought I would add a quote from our support e-mail to you:

The record feature requires that you have a rhythm track loaded that will play along with you while you are recording. The procedure is described here:

FAQ - How do I record live play from my MIDI keyboard?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/53.htm

Thanks everybody, I have news

Reply #5
Hi,
Noteworthy truly recognized my USB-MIDI Converter, and if choose rhythm template the "Rec" icon is active and fossil for a long time as required, BUT regretfully the software DO NOT show any notes when I play the synthesizer after I press "Rec"!!!

What I need to do in order to see the notes?

Thanks!

Reply #6
Check your Tools-Options-Record settings, of course making sure the Input Device is set to your USB MIDI interface, but more likely the root of the problem, the Import Options selection at the bottom of the window.  I have the most success with this set to "'Record' group".  If this is set to "Buffer only", your recording may be waiting in the Windows clipboard or it may be nowhere.  If this si set to "New window", check to see if a new NWC window (not another instance of NWC, but within the same instance appearing as another NWC file opened) has appeared after recording (possibly minimized).  You may also (for testing only) want to set MIDI Through/Echo to "Echo MIDI Input" checked and "Echo input to play device" to your computer's softsynth (probably Microsoft GS softsynth) to confirm whether the computer is actually picking up the MIDI input from the keyboard.

Also, if you have the owner's manual, check the documentation to see whether the keyboard needs to be configured to output MIDI data from the keyboard.  If you do not have the manual, you can probably find a .pdf of it from a Google search on "Casio keyboard manuals Concertmate model".

Re: Thanks everybody, I have news

Reply #7
What I need to do in order to see the notes?
  • You will not see any notation straight away - it is only visible after you click the stop button which brings me to:
  • You must use the stop button to finish recording your MIDI - <Esc> will cancel everything
  • Have you checked your MIDI "in" and "out" connectors?  As I said earlier the keyboards MIDI "OUT" must connect to the converters MIDI "IN" and vice versa.
  • A test for the above is to try to play back some NWC file through the keyboards speakers - this will confirm that the keyboards MIDI "in" is connected to the converters MIDI "out" which will in turn make it more likely that you have the other pair of connectors correct.

It hasn't worked already.....

Reply #8
I am desperate. I tried all your kind advices above. About the "Import Options" - I tried all this 3 options (New window, record group, buffer only) with and without "Echo MIDI Input". I also tried to use "Microsoft GS" in the "Echo input" (my default was "Microsoft MIDI Mapper") - Sorry, It didn't help.

Please help!

Thanks.

Reply #9
More fundamental info needed:

1) What operating system?  XP, Vista (shudder!), 2000, etc.?

2) When you selected Echo MIDI inpput, do you hear any sound from the computer speakers?

3) Did you check out the Casio owner's manual for settings to send keyboard data to MIDI Out and adjust accordingly?

4) As Lawrie (a NWC wizard if ever there was one) suggested, with the computer speakers turned off, will a NWC file play back through the Casio's speakers with the USB MIDI interface selected as the Available playback device?

Reply #10
More fundamental info needed:

1) What operating system?  XP, Vista (shudder!), 2000, etc.?

2) When you selected Echo MIDI inpput, do you hear any sound from the computer speakers?

3) Did you check out the Casio owner's manual for settings to send keyboard data to MIDI Out and adjust accordingly?

4) As Lawrie (a NWC wizard if ever there was one) suggested, with the computer speakers turned off, will a NWC file play back through the Casio's speakers with the USB MIDI interface selected as the Available playback device?

Ok, Here are the answers:
1) Vista 32 bit
2) I hear the rhythm template of Noteworthy, I don't hear my synthesizer through my computer speakers (but I hear my synthesizer from its speakers)
3) This is ok.
4) I didn't succeed to sound a NWC file through the Casio's speakers with the USB MIDI interface.

Thanks!

Reply #11
Good useful info!  You may want to "borrow" a friend's computer (preferably a non-Vista PC, say XP or 2000) and temporarily install both your licensed NWC and your MIDI interface drivers and see if the Casio works on it.  I suspect that Vista itself is the culprit here, that you may need to find updated Vista drivers (if any exist) for your MIDI interface from the manufacturer's web site, or (be cautious here) a registry hack to get Vista to input/output data from the interface.  Since you said that the data LED is flashing on the MIDI interface then the interface itself is probably not malfunctioning.

Reply #12
Another diagnostic tool to try if you are so inclined, if it works on Vista:  Download, install, and configure MIDI-OX and MIDI-YOKE from www.midiox.com and you will be able to capture the MIDI data to an input window from your keyboard via the USB MIDI interface.  That will at least confirm whether MIDI data is actually making it into the PC successfully.  You might also try downloading and installing something like free Finale Notepad or a trial version of Finale or Sibelius and try recording MIDI from the Casio into those applications to see whether there is some odd problem stopping NWC from receiving or transmitting MIDI data to the Casio.

Reply #13
2) I hear the rhythm template of Noteworthy, I don't hear my synthesizer through my computer speakers (but I hear my synthesizer from its speakers)
4) I didn't succeed to sound a NWC file through the Casio's speakers with the USB MIDI interface.

This suggests either a driver or a configuration issue to me.
Driver:
As Milton suggested, make sure you have the correct driver for your MIDI converter.  There have been some fundamental changes to the way sound is handled in vista and you must have the correct drivers.  It might be worthwhile checking in Hardware Mangler - err, that's manager - to make sure the device is functioning correctly (no X, ! or ? next to it).

Configuration (2 areas to examine):
  • Software:
    • Ensure that the MIDI converter device is correctly listed in |Tools|Options|Record (tab)|Input Device (list box)| - you may need to tell your keyboard to output MIDI data.
    • To test output from NWC, ensure that the MIDI converter is the only device listed in |Tools|Options|MIDI (tab)|Devices used by playback| - you may need to tell your keyboard to accept incoming MIDI data.  This is for testing only, you will likely choose to revert NWC to your normal synth after the test.
  • Hardware - make absolutely certain that the keyboards output (MIDI out) is connected to the converters input (MIDI in) and vice versa.  If these connectors are swapped it will not work.  Also, if your keyboard or converter has a MIDI through ("thru" for our US friends) connector then don't use it (at least for now). 

You mentioned the converters light flashing - is this a constant rate flash, or does it alter to reflect key presses on the keyboard?  If the latter then you likely have the connections correct.  If the latter does not hold true then you are probably seeing timing data being output from the converter.

Reply #14
I've been waiting for someone to mention the possibility of a mismatch between the keyboard and the converter. I'm no MIDI expert, but I've read that some converters refuse to work with some keyboards. Seems like testing with another piece of software, as Milton suggested, might be prudent to rule out this possibility.

Bill

Reply #15
Although it has been suggested in a couple of replies, it is not clear that you have actually tried the most common cure for this. From my reading, I gather that:

1) you see both the MIDI Out and MIDI In drivers for your USB MIDI Interface, and have selected them for use in NWC
2) you can hear your keyboard when you play it directly with your hands
3) you do not hear anything when you play from NWC to your keyboard
4) you do not see anything when you record from NWC
5) you have not tried reversing the two MIDI cables connected to between your USB interface and your keyboard

If these are all true, then I would recommend trying #5, even if the connection is counter intuitive to how the MIDI ports are labeled. The port labels can sometimes get very confusing, especially for the older devices.

Let's summarize

Reply #16
I'm a little bit confused from all your answers, so I'm summarizing my answers:

Noteworthy truly recognized my USB-MIDI Converter, and if choose rhythm template the "Rec" icon is active and fossil for a long time as required, BUT regretfully the software DO NOT show any notes when I play the synthesizer after I press "Rec"!!!

*About the "Import Options" - I tried all this 3 options (New window, record group, buffer only) with and without "Echo MIDI Input". I also tried to use "Microsoft GS" in the "Echo input" (my default was "Microsoft MIDI Mapper") - Sorry, It didn't help.
* What operating system? Vista 32 bit.
* When you selected Echo MIDI input, do you hear any sound from the computer speakers? I hear the rhythm template of Noteworthy, I don't hear my synthesizer through my computer speakers (but I hear my synthesizer from its speakers).
*Did you check out the Casio owner's manual for settings to send keyboard data to MIDI Out and adjust accordingly? This is OK.
*With the computer speakers turned off, will a NWC file play back through the Casio's speakers with the USB MIDI interface selected as the Available playback device? I didn't succeed to sound a NWC file through the Casio's speakers with the USB MIDI interface.
* MIDI-OX from www.midiox.com didn't captured MIDI , but it recognized my USB midi converter.
* You mentioned the converters light flashing - is this a constant rate flash, or does it alter to reflect key presses on the keyboard? It reflects key presses on the keyboard.
* About the last response of NoteWorthy Online admin - these are all true (but I didn't understand what do you mean in #5).

Note: I checked almost all of your advices (It means trying in XP, Midi out and in plugs etc... It hasn't helped yet.

I'll be happy for a  focused answer, I'm a little bit confused... :)

Reply #17
I thought about this but forgot to mention it before -  it is rare, but your MIDI converter could have a bad USB cable.  YOur computer would possibly still recognize the USB device since it may only be looking for the installed drivers, same for NWC.  The data lights on the interface would still flash with keyboard input but the data would never get to the computer over a defective USB cable.  Does the interface have a USB port or is the USB cable hard-wired into the box?  If it has a port, try using a known good USB cable in the interface.  If it is hard-wired, try to borrow a known good USB MIDI interface and install it temporarily and see if that fixes the problem.

What NoteWorthy Online means by #5 is, either at the keyboard or at the interface (but not at both), switch the MIDI IN and MIDI OUT jacks that the MIDI cables are plugged into.  That is, take the cable plugged into the MIDI IN jack and plug it into the MIDI OUT jack and vice versa.

MIDI-OX and MIDI YOKE configuration can be a little tricky, and MIDI YOKE must be installed to pick up MIDI data.  It would be easier to try another known good interface first, though if you e-mail me I can give you the details of how to configure MIDI-OX ports and routing.

Re: Let's summarize

Reply #18
I'm a little bit confused from all your answers, so I'm summarizing my answers:

<snip>
* You mentioned the converters light flashing - is this a constant rate flash, or does it alter to reflect key presses on the keyboard? It reflects key presses on the keyboard.
* About the last response of NoteWorthy Online admin - these are all true (but I didn't understand what do you mean in #5).

G'day,
I tried to find a manual online for the keyboard but couldn't find one quickly so I'll have to ask a few questions...

First:

This suggests that you have the MIDI ports correctly connected but I want to try and explain a bit further and make sure that we both understand each other as well as understanding what's going on.

Normally a MIDI keyboard will have an IN, OUT and sometimes a THROUGH port for the MIDI connections.  Their functions are:
IN = MIDI data into the keyboard
OUT = MIDI data from the keyboard
THROUGH = MIDI data passed from the IN port and THROUGH to other MIDI devices in a chain

For our purposes we are only interested in the IN and OUT ports.

The MIDI to USB converter will also have IN and OUT ports.  In its case their functions are:
IN = MIDI data into the computer
OUT = MIDI data from the computer.

So, in order for MIDI data to go from the keyboard to the computer, you must connect a MIDI cable from the keyboards OUT port to the converters IN port.

In order to play back from your computer to the keyboard you need a MIDI cable from the converters OUT port connected to the keyboards IN port.

IN to IN will not work, OUT to OUT will not work.  This brings us to:

#5 was talking about making sure these connections were correct.  An easy test would be to swap them at one end (assuming you have BOTH ports connected).  If you are only using one MIDI cable make sure it is in the OUT port of the keyboard and the IN port of the converter.  This should allow for MIDI data to be recorded.

Now, what I don't know is what kind of USB to MIDI converter you have and as I don't have access to a manual can you tell me how many MIDI ports are on the back of the keyboard and how they are labeled?  It would be nice if you could give me the same info for the converter in case I can't find anything quickly for it.

Thanks everybody

Reply #19
If there will be developments in this topic I'll update you.

Meanwhile, thanks for the helping.

Reply #20
I have the same problem with my Casiotone CT 660. I can see my midi "Viewcon" on vista settings and software midi options, however when I strike the keys, the software can't respond that. Whenever I play the note on software then I can hear the sound from my keyboard. I tried all option. I think my keyboard is incompatible with sth, software, vista or cables, I dont know.

If anybody encountered same problem and fixed it, please tell me.

Reply #21
G'day jennie,
welcome to the forum.

Now, I'm assuming that by "the software" you mean Noteworthy Composer.  Have you followed through this thread and made sure you've understood/tried the things already mentioned?

Have you checked your Casio manual?  Do you need to do something on the keyboard to enable MIDI out?

Reply #22
Yes Lawrie,

I tried all and checked the manuals. Actually, nothing is though. You just switch the button to midi option on keyboard. I tried not only Noteworthy but also other softwares, in case there might be a problem on software. One thing I dont understand that is how possible an old midi connection is incompatible with a today's usb midi cable. I can expect a problem if I had used an old usb midi cable with newer device. However this is opposite.

Reply #23
G'day Jennie,
about the only thing I can think of at the moment is to double check the MIDI cable fromt the Casio to the USB converter.  Make sure the MIDI OUT from the Casio is connected to the MIDI IN of the USB converter.

Other than that I'll have to think about it - it's very late here at the moment and I must go to bed - early start in the morning.  Please check the cable and let us know.

Reply #24
Hi Everyone

For what it's worth, I have a UNO USB to Midi adapter.  This one looks like it is working (various lights flashing etc) on my notebook PC, but does not actually work, because it needs to draw more current than the USB bus can support.  It works OK in a desktop machine.  I have never got round to buying an externally powered USB hub to be sure that my initial diagnosis is correct, but, as neither the laptop nor the desktop will boot if the usb to Midi device is connected (before it boots and Windows loads), I am 99% certain it is correct.  If anyone has any ideas, please feel free to post.

Kind regards

Bob Petty (UK)

Reply #25
Bob makes a good point.  If my previous check does not bear fruit connecting a powered USB hub may help.

Reply #26
I hate to state the obvious but no one has mentioned it in previous replies.
Under TOOLS is "MIDI Input Active" enabled (ticked)?
If it isn't click on the option to enable it.
Then place the cursor in a staff a play some notes from your MIDI keyboard.
These notes should appear immediately.
That will indicate that NWC is receiving input.