Skip to main content
Topic: Importing from midi files (Read 6440 times) previous topic - next topic

Importing from midi files

Why are my midi imports garbled now? I used to be able to do them, mostly OK, but now I find that even files that I know were OK originally result in strings of ridiculously tiny notes, and all the timing messed up. I know this topic comes up from time to time but I'm not sure where to look for the answer. I'm using 1.75 with web update 4 on windows XP. Hmmm I see 1.75c is available. Would this help? I'll do it anyway. As far as I know all the default settings in midi and import are OK. Even if I select "whole note" I still get a jumble of misplaced 64th!

Any suggestions?

George Speller[move][/move]

Re: Importing from midi files

Reply #1
G'day George,
perhaps you could check the settings of the MIDI import dialogue and post 'em.

E.G. go to |Tools|Options|Import (tab)|
My settings are:
Everything is ticked and note resolution is 32nd, rest resolution is quarter, max single track chord size is 18.

This seems to serve me quite well, though I don't import that much MIDI from files, usually from keyboard against a click/rhythm track
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Very odd problem!  Some of the weirdest app behavior is solved with an old-fashioned reboot, if you haven't tried that obvious first step.

I don't know if MIDI files have code for a time signature, but if they do, or if the time signature NWC has assigned the import has, say a "1" at the bottom and the piece has fairly short time value notes as it is, this could result in very tiny notes.  I take it you mean very short time values, since you mentioned 64th notes, rather than notes rendering in a very small font, like grace notes.

Another guess: in your Import settings, is the "Separate MIDI channels" box unchecked in "Track Splitting Options"?  Could this possibly be forcing multiple tracks onto the same channel and forcing their combined notes for any guven measure to divide that measure's time between 3 or 4 or more times as many notes mistakenly rendered as all belonging to the same melodic line?  A very long shot, admittedly.

Reply #3
even files that I know were OK originally

I don't know exactly what do you mean by that.

Do you mean they play right?

This by itself is not enough to say they are OK by the point of view of the import (in NWC or any other program).
It happens to find MIDI files in which the playing is completely mismatched from the "official" beat.
That's usual when you simply press "record" and start playing without listening to the recording program metronome.

Another case is when the MIDI file is purposedly tweaked exactly to avoid the "reverse engineering".
In this case it's possible to restore it but it's not so easy to do and even worse to explain.

If I remember well, "midi notate composer" tries to synch to the real beat.

Reply #4
It is nearly impossible to diagnose MIDI import problems without testing. If possible, include a link to the MIDI file that is causing problems. Many times, we can sort it out, but there are some files that defy coherent import. Most "problem MIDI's" were intentionally made difficult to decypher.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
I've examined midi files at hex level from many many packages.

Some midi files turn a note "off" by repeating the note "on" message at zero volume.

Some packages produce gaps (up to 20 percent of note duration) between notes on a staff.

I've had success moving noteworthy's midis into other packages by putting a slur over the WHOLE staff before exporting - thereby making the note values 100 percent of their intended duration.

Reply #6
I've had success moving noteworthy's midis into other packages by putting a slur over the WHOLE staff before exporting - thereby making the note values 100 percent of their intended duration.

Another way to do this is set a Legato (or is it a Tenuto) performance style...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #7
Some midi files turn a note "off" by repeating the note "on" message at zero volume.

Yes. This is another standard and perfectly legal way to do it.
It shouldn't cause any harm in any case.

Reply #8
It shoudn't - that's the way NWC handles Note On and Note Off.

Reply #9
I would like to suggest that NWC2 is far superior to NWC 1.75 and it's well worthwhile upgrading.

Although I'm a regular user of NWC2, importing Midi is not it's strongest point.
NOTATION MUSICIAN does a FAR better job of importing Midi.
I cannot afford NOTATION COMPOSER - hence it has happened that I've done:
1. Import Midi into NOTATION MUSICIAN.
2. Print to paper.
3. Scan to *.TIF ( or *.BMP)
4. With SHARPEYE2 convert *.TIF to *.XML
5. Convert *.XML to NWC2, using Nicolas Hatier's "MXML2NWCC.EXE"

Haymo.

Reply #10
Except that note on at zero volume effectively halves the polyphony on midi keyboard modules .

Reply #11
Except that note on at zero volume effectively halves the polyphony on midi keyboard modules .

Really?
I can't believe the module makers are so naifs...

1. Import Midi into NOTATION MUSICIAN.
2. Print to paper.
3. Scan to *.TIF ( or *.BMP)

There are ways to "print" directly to .TIF or .BMP files, but at the moment I can't recall how.
The only one I remember is Zan image printer that's exagerately costly, sorry.

Another way could be to get the image as .WMF then use a graphic program to rasterize it and get the required .bmp.