Skip to main content
Topic: Help needed for Asus EEE (Read 2860 times) previous topic - next topic

Help needed for Asus EEE

I want to install NWC on my new Asus EEE 701 mini but OS is in a form of Linux and I'm not very good at this Command line stuff. Can anyone give me a simple blow-by-blow install? 1.75 is fine.

Re: Help needed for Asus EEE

Reply #1
I have never used an Asus, but I have tested NWC2 on my Acer Aspire One both under Linpus Lite and Puppy Linux, and both worked without any problems. Unfortunately I did not record exactly what I did step-by-step, but I think I might be able to help if you run into problems.

You will need WINE to install and run NWC. The easiest way to get wine is if it is available in a repository for your Linux version.

You will need something to produce midi sound. The easiest way is to install TiMidity. Timidity must be set up correctly to be seen by NWC, and should be started before NWC. This can be automated in several ways. You can use nice sound fonts with TiMidity.

Now you should be able to run nwc files by first starting the program. Probably you will have to create a simple script to be able to start NWC by clicking on a nwc file. This is well documented in wine documentation.

To do this you have to use command line a little, but it takes less time to do all this than to explain it.

I have seen more complicated setups described, using Jack. For a UMPC this is absolutely not necessary.

--Christian
NWC on Ubuntu Linux/Wine

Re: Help needed for Asus EEE

Reply #2
Thanks Christian, but what I've seen of Linux is too much black magic for me. I've dumped it and installed XP and now I can get on with music.