Skip to main content
Topic: Staccato Problems (Read 3619 times) previous topic - next topic

Staccato Problems

Hi, When I have two notes with their stems facing the opposite direction the staccato that's not attach to the bottom note would not sound like a staccato.

There's an attachment...

The top note (part of a triplet) is suppose to play legato... BUT the bottom note (A Crotchet) which was suppose to play a staccato sounds legato and the staccato mark doesn't attach itself to the bottom note but the top note instead.

My problem is trying to place the staccato's position on the bottom note and not the top so everything would be played the right way I wanted.

What's going on? I need some advice.

Kris

Re: Staccato Problems

Reply #1
Articulations only affect playback on one stem. In this clip:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Chord|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:0,2|Opts:Stem=Up,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-2
|Chord|Dur:4th,Staccato|Pos:-2,0|Opts:Stem=Down,ArticulationsOnStem|Dur2:4th|Pos2:2
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
the staccato affects the top notes of the first chord and the bottom notes of the second chord.

Use playback only staves or layers for more control of playback.

A similiar situation applies to triplets. It this clip, the bottom notes are held on longer than the top notes:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Chord|Dur:4th,Triplet=First|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-1
|Chord|Dur:4th,Triplet|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-2
|Chord|Dur:4th,Triplet=End|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up|Dur2:4th|Pos2:-3
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
I see... Why would this happen?

Reply #3
Just a guess, since I'm not privy to the progrmmer's mind, but:

When layering was introduced, all work on improvements to 2 voices on the same staff ceased. I have lobbied for Restchord beaming support to no avail.

Reply #4
Having followed this through the transition (as I believe you did too, Rick), I think what happened is that Eric found the difficulties of handling multiple voices on the same staff quickly spiraling upward, both from the programming standpoint and from the user interface standpoint. His solution to this problem was layers. Had he come up with the idea of layers earlier, there would probably be no single-staff multiple-voice support at all in NWC; what is there is legacy programming, which is supported in current versions only for the sake of backward compatibility. That, I would guess, is why no new features have been added to this part of the program. What little work has been done there is just for the sake of cleaning up the display and print output from an abandoned line of development that nevertheless has to be maintained up to the place where it was abandoned. It's like a spur railway that only goes to the foot of the mountains because he found a better pass a few miles to the north. It's worth maintaining in its current state, but there's no point in laying any more line in that direction.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #5
It's worth maintaining in its current state, but there's no point in laying any more line in that direction.
I disagree. If you put split Chords on separate staves and transpose them (or shift them for a different clef), they still align correctly. RestChords do not. The automatic positioning that NWC2 does on RestChords is generally quite pleasing, but it cannot be used with beamed notes. Or articulated notes if you want correct playback.

I must admit an ulterior motive here. If I use a special SysFont with 64th rest which has no glyph and a narrow width, I can get notes to be closer together by making them RestChords with my special-width rest. But this is useless without the ability to beam.

I can understand why split Chords have the limits they have. It would require a much more complex user interface to specify which (or both) voices are beamed or articulated. None of this should apply to RestChords.

This is a lesser priority than fixing the default positions of slurs.