Skip to main content
Topic: partition feature (Read 3608 times) previous topic - next topic

partition feature

I am somewhat new, have noticed that some files have partitions. I would like to invoke the partition feature, but can find nothing about it in nwc help. Can it be easily explained? How does one invoke multiple partitions. Standard appears to be the only one I have.
thanks.
MEL

Re: partition feature

Reply #1
G'day Mel,
I'm sorry, but I'm not sure what you mean by "partitions".  My first assumption was that you meant multiple parts; like vocals and piano and other instruments all on the one score - each part taking up it's own staff or "line" if you prefer...

If this is the case, then you add staves by pressing <Ctrl-A>, or clicking the big + sign on the toolbar or by selecting |Staff|New staff| from the menu system.

Hmm, a thought just struck me - are you using this to create each "line" of your work?  If so, then that is an error.  In NWC each part has its own staff which extends indefinitely to the right of the screen.  It only wraps when you print or preview it.  Don't try to manually wrap it in the editor...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
What I think you mean by partitions is what Noteworthy calls groups.
See the sample file: moonlite.nwc
It has a "Hidden" group in addition to the "Standard" group. This is explained in Page Setup Command.

What you name a group is up to you. Common names are:
  • Conductor
  • Hidden
  • MIDI
  • Woodwind
  • Percussion
NWC attaches no significance to the group name.
The group names that are created in a new song depend on the template used to create the song.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Assuming Rick is right (and your use of the word "standard" in your original post implies that he is), then perhaps you haven't noticed that you can type a new name into the scroll box that has the word "standard" in it on the staff properties tab. This isn't clear from the help screen. Simply select the word "standard" and type the new name over it. When you type a new name, it will get added to the drop-down list in the scroll box, as well as being applied to the staff you are currently working with.

Hope this helps.....

Bill

Reply #4
Historical note: NWC "groups" were called "partitions" back in the 1990s.

Reply #5
Thanks for the historical clarification, Eric. I had forgotten. But that does raise an interesting question: what version is Mel using? He says he's "somewhat new." Could he have somehow got hold of a very old version of the program?

Mel, if you're still following this thread: perhaps the best thing for you to do is to upgrade to the most recent version of NWC, if you haven't already done so. The program is vastly improved over its initial versions, and is continuing to get better. You may be suffering from some unnecessary frustrations.

Cheers,

Bill